Counter Knowledge: Dior Beauty Shangrila + Event Invite

12 I’ve always had a soft spot for Dior Beauty — my mom is an ardent fan way before she explored other brands so I happily with-arms-wide-open took in all her hand-me-downs. The Lip Glow has been a constant companion all throughout college ever since my mom gave me her back-up tube. I’ve since tried out a few Dior products on my own, some of which I’ve already reviewed: Diorskin Nude Rose Powder, Diorsnow BB Eye Creme, Rouge Dior Lipstick in Grege. The beautiful ladies over at the Dior counter in Shangrila Plaza invited me for a visit to satisfy my Counter Knowledge thirst for everything and anything Dior. I’ve actually been to the Dior Shangrila counter before, always passing by to swatch the eyeshadows, but never really dove in and purchased one because I was scared of the frosty finish that seemed to encapsulate each quint. With this visit, I put those scares to the test and see how it truly appears on the lids. dior philippines

Dior Makeup

Before trying on the eyeshadows, I was distracted by these blushes that I never gave much attention to before as they’re not so talked about in the beauty world. I even recently just learned that these Diorblushes were newly-reformulated and launched during their Mystic Metallics Fall collection last year. The shade range goes from pink, red, coral to nude. Some are sheer swatched but can be built up easily. They all feel smooth and apply evenly with most of the shades having only minimal shimmer. I like the feel of this on the skin as it melds right in and doesn’t feel chalky nor powdery. 6 I finished up a bottle of Diorskin Nude before (hand-me-down from my Momma) and I actually liked it. I just went on exploring so I never repurchased, but now that I’ve been trying others, I think I’ll be going back to Diorskin Nude soon. We’ll see.4 Oh these Rouge Dior lipsticks, also newly reformulated and launched with the gorgeous and can-never-fail beauty, Natalie Portman. I also got a hand-me-down lipstick from my mom before (the old Rouge Dior) but never really got on with it as I felt it had too much shine for someone like me who adores semi-matte, matte, satin finishes. However, if you’ve read my Rouge Dior in Grege entry, you’ll see me gush over the moisturizing power and fantastic formula of this newly-reformulated seemingly deceiving just-luxury-in-a-tube lipstick. If you had to try one Dior product, I would suggest to start with their Rouge Dior lipstick. 3 These four shades are the main shades and supposedly the best of the pinks, nudes, peaches and reds. I adoooore Grege and it will probably be the first lipstick repurchase I’ll be getting this year when I run out. Beautiful everyday shade that I can apply even without a mirror. I was super tempted to get Trafalgar during this counter visit but decided on Sillage instead. Natalie wears the 999 shade on the ads and looks super striking on her, apparently with my skintone, it doesn’t look as good. 85 Another one on my list of must-tries is the Dior Addict Extreme lipsticks that are similarly easy to apply yet sheerer and more like a tinted lip balm with a natural shine that doesn’t cross over to the lip gloss territory. I’m eyeing on Incognito, another nude shade. *surprise surprise* 9

Dior Skincare

This is the ONE serum to rule it all. I’ve been turned into a luxury skincare skeptic ever since I tried this other equally-high end brand skincare (will not name drop but old readers will know what itiz) that seemed to be more light-reflecting properties than actual skincare. So imagine my face when the SAs were telling me about this serum and how it boosts efficacy of other skincare products you use in conjunction with it. *side eye*  However, as I read through the ingredients, I was impressed to see actives and not just light-reflecting ingredients to give you the illusion of effectiveness. Only one silicone, polymethylsilsesquioxane, designed to increase the ability for other ingredients with smaller molecules to penetrate the skin as well as create that silky, smooth feel.* The active ingredients include ascorbyl glucoside (stable form of vitamin C), lactic acid (AHA), citric acid (AHA), salicylic acid (BHA) among others. There are also humectants and emollients for hydrating properties. All in all, I’m tempted to try this one out if I can just get pass the price (around Php8k for 75ml). 13 I actually got to try the products out for a quick detox facial and wow, here’s the effect on my dull, lifeless skin. It instantly brightened and looked more alive. Seriously – I’ve never been so tempted to throw away money like this before. BRB. I’m imagining how my skin will look like if I get to finish up a whole bottle! cheekfinal This was taken a few minutes after the serum was applied. Where art thou, pores?14 15 And for those with extra extra extra cash (after the mansion, the sports car, etc.), this might be something of interest… the L’Or de Vie line. With the cream starting at $195 (locally around Php15,000++), I don’t think this is something I will ever recommend for the price alone! I haven’t tried it and don’t plan to but you’re free to share your thoughts on it if you have. Although hey, if you finish up your first bottle or jar, you can just buy the refill after for less (still at $100+, though). That’s luxury skincare for you, ladies. 7B1B

The Makeover

After the facial, I was treated to a free makeover c/o Chielo featuring the products above. What I love most would have to be the Dior Lip Serum which is a lipstick + lip care hybrid that made my lips ultra smooth and luscious all throughout the day. I swear, it may be my next lip splurge as it’s Php2,000, but so worth it for my dry, peeling and cracking lips. On the photo, it’s topped with the Lip Maximizer so it appears more glossy and shiny than it actually is. Chielo tried one of the Holiday collection palettes on me — Golden Flower. The frosty finish was more subdued in this one so I wasn’t so turned off by it. Only one shade was super glittery. I tried on the Diorblush in Rose Cherie which turned out really natural (please ignore the wrong label on the photo!) – definitely coming back for that one. 10 And of course, the three lovely ladies who welcomed my swatching, trying on and photographing. Thank you for inviting me! (L-R: Chielo, Mira, *name escapes me right now* SORRY!)

INVITATION TO THE DIOR PRIVATE BEAUTY FITTING EVENT

Dior offers a new service: customized beauty consultations with US, Canada and Milan-trained beauty expert & Professional Image Consultant Cristina Madara.  Her services will be made available to Dior clients for one day only – January 18th.  Reservations required as limited slots will be available.
If you’re interested to drop by the counters and do some swatching, don’t hesitate. The three SAs above aren’t intimidating at all. Do so with freedom! If you’re interested to join the Private Beauty Fitting Event, you can drop by anytime from 1PM-7PM for free. However, the consultation with Ms. Cristina Madara comes with a Php12,000 skincare kit purchase. Also, these are in store for the day: (1)    Complimentary miniature products with every purchase; (2)    Clients purchasing at least PHP 5,000 worth of products are automatically entered to win the raffle of prizes on the 18th Jan. 2014, namely the following: (a) a 100ml bottle of best-selling fragrance Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet; (b) a 75ml bottle of the global best selling skincare One Essential Serum; and  (c) a luxury skincare set valued at PHP 15,750 containing One Essential and Capture Lift. (3) Free-flowing drinks!

Please text 09273290690 if you’re interested to book a slot.

What Dior Beauty products have you tried lately or are interested to try? Do share!

1. January 14, 2014 / 12:42 am

Oh it looks like you had a lot of fun! I love going to real, proper counters (they don’t really exist here. We only have displays) with all the sparkling products nicely-arranged and nice SAs. This reminds me: I have a deluxe sample of the One Essential mask. It’s time for me to give it a go!

• January 15, 2014 / 1:25 pm

I’ve been to Belgium four years ago (although I wasnt into makeup yet then) but can’t remember how beauty ‘counters’ look like. Do tell about the One Essential Mask, sunny!! Id love to know if all I’ve heard about that range is true.

January 14, 2014 / 6:20 am

Oh gosh. 12,000?! #heartbroken *sigh* I’ve only tried Dior’s lip glow and creme de rose lipbalm (I much prefer the creme de rose). I’m a sucker for a red lip so if I were to buy my first Dior lipstick, it would probably be 999. On a side note, I’ve finally started my blog! 🙂 Still tweaking around with it though. badgalrayrayy.wordpress.com

• ManilaJen
      January 14, 2014 / 12:33 pm

Saw it from the links snd arrgh!! you should! i should! hehe

• January 14, 2014 / 3:58 pm

Oh wow, no need to buy all the NARS single shadows!! That’s actually pretty awesome, ha. Pero I would wait for reviews kase Temptalia’s swatches look kinda patchy and lacking in pigmentation as compared to the real singles. For example, I have Lhasa pero the Lhasa in Temptalia’s swatches looks kinda different. However, if price is right, I think this is a value-for-money palette! Just use the NARS eyeshadow primer for those shades that are kinda dry and patchy 🙂 Ang bilis mo maghanap, ha! LOVETT!

• Raven Ang
        January 14, 2014 / 5:28 pm

The patchy swatches were exactly why I hesitated. I subscribed to Temptalia’s daily feed so I get emails every time there are new product reviews/swatches. You should too! Y’know to tempt yourself even more. 😉

• January 15, 2014 / 1:21 pm

I have her blog in my blog feed app actually 🙂 I just dont check it often cos I dont wanna get tempted even more!!! Haha. Fez and Mekong look absolutely gorgeous though. I actually wanna get those two singles! Let’s wait for the review, then!

AND OMG!! YAY YOU MADE YOUR BLOG NA!! heading over right now!

• Raven Ang
            January 15, 2014 / 3:53 pm

Fez, Mekong and Bad Behavior! But what I’m REALLY eyeing is the Kauai duo from the Spring 2014 collection. My batch colors! Purple and yellow. ♥

Teehee! 😉

3. January 14, 2014 / 6:33 am

Now THAT’s a counter! Our displays are.. very sad in comparison to this one!

• January 15, 2014 / 1:24 pm

Sunny told me about your ‘counters’ over there. I’ve been to Belgium but during that time, I wasnt at all into makeup yet so I cant remember how it looks!

4. January 14, 2014 / 11:53 am

Oh, Dior. Still dreaming about it, still can’t afford it. Hahaha. Soon, though! And I’m going to Shangrila this weekend. I might bump into you there. I’d shout, “Shari!” then just run off or look the other way, pretend that nothing happened, hahaha

5. January 14, 2014 / 1:58 pm

Now I feel like moving to Manila. Seriously, why am I not in Manila? Darling looks so pretty! That’s my kind of color. Okay, gotta save up now! Haha

• January 15, 2014 / 12:24 am

Darling is definitely a must-buy for pink lip lovers! Girl, ubos-pera if youre here!! Hehe. Where are you from ba Emae?

• January 16, 2014 / 5:32 pm

Pampanga. 🙁 We don’t even have MAC here! </3

6. January 14, 2014 / 7:50 pm

i actually got the chance to try their foundation (diorskin forever) and I swear…. it covered up soooooo well. So well that my friends actually noticed something different. Perhaps it seemed like I had unblemished skin? Haha, I wish!

• January 15, 2014 / 12:23 am

Keemji! I’m eyeing that nga pero I’m scared it would give off a mask-like finish? I like skin-like finishes kaya I’m thinking of sticking to diorskin nude, but I’m super curious about Diorksin Forever. Now that youve mentioned that, I’ll check it out for myself.

7. Natalie Da Silva
    January 14, 2014 / 11:08 pm

I love the makeup you pictured here…the colours are so fresh and gorgeous! x great blog!

• January 15, 2014 / 12:21 am

Thanks Natalie 🙂

8. January 15, 2014 / 12:13 am

I like the sharp edges of the eye makeup. The soft colors don’t really make it too much. I wish they did your brows though! And I hate you for doing this post. I want to buy everything now!

• January 15, 2014 / 12:21 am

I would’ve done the eyeshadow application much differently than Chielo did it, too! Sharp unblended edges arent me at all! And yes, I wish they’d done my brows too. Kinda bummed she totally skipped it. 😐 and gurl, dont be.. a blush or a lipstick would suffice 😉 haha. Glad to see you blogging again Tellz!

• January 15, 2014 / 1:23 pm

There are rave reviews for this. I’m with you on sticking with retinol and products with actives, but the loyal users who told me they use this (mostly 35ish up, though) really have super WHOA skin. I dont wanna believe it but I’m slowly turning over. HUHUHU no….

• January 15, 2014 / 1:33 pm

I think they took the “reduces the appearance of pores…” to a whole new level. That was my rationale when I was thinking of buying shiseido white lucent spot targeting treatment which costs an arm and a leg — inisip ko na I’m buying makeup AND skin care in one. If it just ‘reduces the apperance of pores…’ well they did it pretty damn good.

9. Nikki
    January 16, 2014 / 3:45 pm

I want to try Dior’s new blushes. I’ve only seen good reviews since they came out. But there are so many to choose from. I don’t know which one I’ll try first.

• January 30, 2014 / 3:52 pm

I suggest trying them on and see which shade gives you the best glow 🙂 Go to a counter, Nikki and dont be afraid to swatch or ask the SAs to try them on your cheeks!

10. January 17, 2014 / 2:05 am

Thanks for sharing with us!! I have been eyeing at the dior health blush for a while and i have heard a lot of rave for it! by any chance do you know if its good and worth the money? 😀

Justsosapril.com

• January 30, 2014 / 3:52 pm

Hi April! I do think the blushes are worth the price. They are long-lasting, very natural and meld into the skin as if it’s your own glow coming through. You do need to swatch them and check out what shade suits you best to really find THE ONE that’s worth the $$$$ 🙂