Love it or Toss it #2: YSL Glossy Stains

1b2c

Mission Unearth

I’m still on my mission of unearthing makeup items that I may have overlooked, forgotten or buried in the hopes of having not bought them at all. And then I realized, what I haven’t done as much is in this blog is to air out dirty laundry a.k.a share some products that didn’t work for me. I’m hoping I won’t have a lot of these posts because seriously, who wants wasted $$$$? For the most part, I research my buys diligently with pros and cons – a complete decision-making process (mostly revolving around “I don’t need, but I want it, so now I need it, fine I’ll get it”). But there are just those times I recklessly give in to a hype or foolhardily pick up an item in the mall after swatching – which then churn out a few regret buys. So for my second Love it or Toss it entry inspired by Gummy and Joyce, I’m turning the spotlight on YSL glossy stains.

YSL Glossy Stain, you are a TOSS!

I’ve had Rose Tempera for almost a year now and every time I wear it, we just don’t get on. To be honest, I never really liked wearing lip glosses so maybe I’m just biased. But I really think these glossy stains are just far too overpriced for what they essentially are – a tube of sticky, uncomfortably heavy lip gloss that never seems to settle on the lips. I’ve tried this on several occasions to see if I was just being my gloss-hating self. But, it remains consistent on all times I wore it – heavy, sticky and easily removed leaving the lips very patchy and uneven. I was quite hesitant to declare it a toss at first, mainly because of its price, but after a few times of wearing it, I’ve confirmed that it’s not for me. 3swatchesb Here it is swatched – great color pay-off but then, it looks exactly like that on the lips, almost just sitting atop it waiting to be smudged and wiped off. In true Misty Mom spirit of forgetfulness, I forgot the other lip product I swatched beside Rose Tempera. I don’t even remember what brand it is, woops. Aren’t I just the most helpful beauty blogger ever? I’d also like to note that I’ve received the L’Oreal Shine Caresse in one of my Belle de Jour boxes and I think they’re very similar to a point that I don’t see any difference in consistency, texture, longevity. So if you’re itching to invest on these glossy stains, see if you’ll like L’Oreal Shine Caresse first!4

Hello, Goodbye

And so, my YSL glossy stain chronicles starts and ends with Rose Tempera. I’ve tried to work things out with you baby, but we just don’t get on and I don’t wanna force love because of money. I know many people adore you, but we just don’t have the right chemistry. So, goodbye and I hope I find the one (lipgloss) for me soon.  Have you tried YSL glossy stains?

December 7, 2013 / 12:31 pm

Never tried their glossy stains.. But hey, I’m open to new things. Fave lipstains will always be the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Bam Stains (whew! what a mouthful). You should try them! It’s like, 1/2 or even 1/4 of the price when on sale. 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 3:35 pm

I have the Revlon Balm Stains – they already have mattes now which I’m dying to try!! 🙂 Have you seen them?

• Raven Ang
        December 8, 2013 / 8:05 pm

I have! Dying to try them too. I’m a sucker for matte reds. They’re my everyday lipcolor. No matter what occasion or even if for just a casual day to the mall. 🙂

2. December 7, 2013 / 1:05 pm

I actually found it difficult to find a YSL Glossy Stain colour that I liked, but I have at least two favourites of the L’Oreal Shine Caresse!

• December 8, 2013 / 3:35 pm

Which shades from Loreal Shine Caresse do you like? 🙂 I didn’t like this color, too.

• December 10, 2013 / 8:11 am

For L’Oreal Shine Caresse I like the 183 Pink Resistance for the “just bitten” look and 184 Rose on and On for a bit more colour. I’ll do some swatches after I finish exams so you can see if you like them!

Although I do agree about the texture of glossy stains in general, you don’t tend to forget that you’re wearing them. But for long days when I really need my lip colour to stay, they’re really dependable!

3. December 7, 2013 / 2:14 pm

Hey Shari, I’m not big on glosses either, and maybe that’s why I still haven’t tried these! I know that most people love them, but I just haven’t made up my mind. Not sure I ever will!

• December 8, 2013 / 3:36 pm

Good choice, Sunny! I’m glad you didn’t give in to these – they’re not worth it!

4. December 7, 2013 / 2:51 pm

Aw that’s too bad! I completely don’t wear normal glosses on a typical make up day but have been getting back into them with totally non sticky formulas! I love the color of that YSL glossy stain though! That’s too bad you’re not getting on with it! I guess we all have products we just can’t get to work for us!

• December 8, 2013 / 3:38 pm

Which glosses do you like now (the ones with non-sticky formulas, please!)? Do share!

5. December 7, 2013 / 3:53 pm

lol at the ummmm. happens to me too. me and gummy both bought these and returned/sold them. I like some of the shades, but in general i realized i don’t reach for lip products with too much scent. and you are so right, it totally sits on top!! good job figuring out what i didn’t love about it lol

• December 8, 2013 / 3:41 pm

Sooo embarrassing but it has happened quite a few times already. Really!!? Glad to know I’m not the only one who didn’t like these. And yes, it just sits on top so it smudges so easily and the stickiness gets all over! Ugh.

6. Gia
    December 7, 2013 / 4:44 pm

I’ve had the same icky patchy application with these, but if you still wanna use them, try layering them UNDER a lipstick. 😀 I find it still brings some shine, and the stain lengthens to 6+ hours and a few meals.

• December 8, 2013 / 3:42 pm

Gia! Thank you for the suggestion, will try to layer a lipstick on top of this and see how it goes! Although the shade I got is quite dark, so it’s tricky to find a lipstick to layer on top. Maybe a dark one, but yes I will have to try it! Thankss:*

7. December 7, 2013 / 11:07 pm

I love love love this in #9 Rouge Laque but have since tried #105 from the Rebel Nudes and some orangey one from the permanent collection and those were patchy and weird! But #9 is smooth and even and perfect and long lasting and everything I could want in a lip colour (except for the fact it gets on my chin when I eat burgers) so it may actually be worth trying out another shade if there’s one that you like the look of?

• December 8, 2013 / 3:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Georgie. You’re right, maybe the consistency isn’t the same across all shades. I don’t think I’ll try another one though, cos I find I like Chanel’s Extrait de Gloss and Aqualumiere glosses a lot more than YSL glossy stains 🙂 Thank you for sharing your experience, though! Definitely made me think twice about YSL glossy stains in general and that they’re not ALL like this.

8. GummyVision
    December 8, 2013 / 5:51 am

Thank you so much for the shout out!!! Very exciting to see another love it or toss it!! 🙂 As Joyce said below, I ended up purging or giving away mine. Agree…thought it was difficult to get an even application. And then eh….not sure what else it was but I ended up not caring enough for them after a few tries. I think one of them I only wore twice? Good riddance I say!!

• GummyVision
      December 8, 2013 / 5:52 am

Ooops…ps…someone did tell me you are supposed to do at least 2 coats…preferably 3. I did use 2 coats and that was a lot better and had much better staying power, but I didn’t like the way 3 coats felt!! In the end, they were too much work :/

• December 8, 2013 / 3:56 pm

3 coats?! I feel uncomfy with 1 layer of it already 😐 Eeek! And yes, too much work, esp for a lazy ass like me. Definitely tossing this, already. Glad to know (well not really beauty-wise) you and Joyce had the same experience and it’s not only me and my fussiness. LOL

9. December 8, 2013 / 9:33 am

I remember watching a US day time show, probably Good Morning America, and they were talking about drug store vs high end products and the expert that they interviewed said that if you can’t afford a YSL lip product, just go for L’oreal since they are owned by the same company or made by the same manufacturer (I can’t remember what exactly). So I guess it figures why they have similar quality. And this is such a disappointment given the price. I don’t like lipglosses myself, so meh. Lol

• December 8, 2013 / 3:58 pm

Yup, L’Oreal owns YSL so they were probably rolled out from the same factory – these glossy stains and shine caresses! Thanks for the input, V! Always appreciated!! 🙂 And same here – not a huge fan of lip glosses, either :/

10. December 9, 2013 / 3:53 am

Sorry to hear that you don’t like it. I know exactly how you feel about it. Although, I did carry on trying it.
    I agree that it is fairly uncomfortable with just one coat, it feels a lot better with 2-3 coats. So maybe, try doing that, if you haven’t already. Otherwise it would be such a waste.
    I know it is such a pain to apply too but honestly the end result is something else.

xx

11. December 9, 2013 / 8:09 am

I loved this post! 🙂 I’ve tried the L’Oreal version and YSL version and they are exactly the same. I don’t like them. I was lucky enough to be able to return the YSL one to Sephora and recoop my $. I know so many people love these but, even with several coats, they just don’t feel good to me! I can’t deal with uncomfortable lippies, lol!

12. December 9, 2013 / 5:06 pm

HAHAHAHA I hate these too! Omg. I can’t throw it away lang kasi masakit sa puso lol. But I keep trying to use these! Pati YSL Rouge Volupte Shine, parang di ko getsssss