Makeup Play: Use All the Naked 1 Palette Shades!

2 3

Let’s get Naked again!

Because everyone is going cray-zay about the cleverly-marketed Naked 3 palette, I decided to whip out the first ever installment of this eyesome threesome which, in all fairness, isn’t as neglected as the Naked 2 – but definitely less abused than the Lorac Pro. Also, I’ve been having this inner compulsion lately to show old makeup products as much love as possible which led me to thoughts like.. I wanna use all the shades in the Naked 1 palette!! Let me disappoint you now, I failed at the task and was not able to use all. At the 8-shadow mark, I had to erase everything and start over. Obviously, it wasn’t made to be worn all at the same time. Have you worn a dozen shades in your eye makeup ever? Anyway, that’s not saying it can’t be done, I think it can… just not by me. Maybe a makeup artist or a really skilled makeup enthusiast (with a loooot of lid space to use up, at that) can pull this off. Any challenge takers? 41 The shades I used are all marked with the little black arrows on top. If you want to see how many I managed without my eyes looking like that cup of water where paintbrush has been dipped several times to wash off color, just keep on reading…

Naked Virgin Sin

Um, no I’m not talking about anything other than makeup with that subtitle. It’s not as if I don’t get enough “naked mom” searches leading to this blog, anyway – sorry to disappoint you folks (for those of you who were here for something other than a mom with a Naked palette)! Anyway, I used Sin in the inner third of my mobile lid, Virgin as a highlight on the browbones (which is way overdone but I was too lazy to fix it) and Naked to blend two shades together. 42

Half-Baked Darkhorse

Two main shades for this look are the above-mentioned. Half-Baked for the center 1/3 of the mobile lid, with Darkhorse in the outer 1/3. In my first attempt, I used Sidecar and Toasted with these and ended up blending everything together that it looked like I had a pair of glitters I put eyes on. So for the size of my lid and skill-set, these were really all I could manage. I used Naked to blend out the harsh edges. 43

Creep

If you’re here searching ‘naked mom‘, that’s for you. Kidding. For the last shade, I used Creep on the very outer part of my V to give just a hint of definition and contour. I think I also used a tiny smidge of Smog in there, because I really wanted to use as much as I could. The result? 0

What I Learned During This Play Session

1. I need blending lessons. First, I really feel frustrated that I tend to blend everything together despite not intending to. Maybe it’s my brush, but I blame my lack of skills, too. I use a MAC 217 and a NARS 13 for the job, btw. The NARS 13 brush is much fluffier so I don’t use it as much, especially for my small lid space. The MAC 217 is really my go-to blending brush but it seems it’s still quite too big for smaller-scope blending jobs. Any blending brush suggestion, friends? 2. Eyeliner and I are not friends. How do you guys clean up any eyeliner mess on top without ruining the already-finished eye makeup!? I hate putting on eyeliner with a passion sometimes because I have shaky hands that I can’t even put it on without poking my eye or going beyond the normal width. Ugh. Also, every time I clean up with a q-tip, I end up ruining the eye makeup I’ve so carefully blended that I just want to sit in the corner and cry. 3. I’ve managed to use a total of (pushing it at 7 if I count the tiny bit of Smog I used) shades, which is a feat for me, but is just daily normal wear for those who I follow on Instagram that do really beautiful eye looks. However, I believe I took almost an hour to do just the eyes for this, which made me wonder how I can ever pull this off on a normal day. I obviously couldn’t unless I develop some ninja eyeshadow skills so it’s back to using two-three shades max.

NOW SHARE!

That’s all for today’s makeup play. Would love to hear your thoughts on — how many shades do you usually use for eye makeup? What’s the most number of shadows you’ve used up in one look? Excited to hear your answers!

1. December 4, 2013 / 11:16 pm

The final looks nice! I can barely do any eye makeup (#fail), but when I do I think the most I use is 4! I don’t have much lid space, unfortunately.

That lip color though! ME WANT.

• December 7, 2013 / 11:10 pm

try Armani Lip Maestro in #400 or #201 – the lip colour here looks like a very similar texture/finish and a cross between those two shades 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 4:56 pm

Thank you! I’ve been eyeing #400 FOREVER!

• December 8, 2013 / 6:41 pm

Shucks, you guyss. Youre not helping with my makeup ban. LOL
          I’ve been eyeing the GA 400 too 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 7:36 pm

I can’t recommend it highly enough

• December 8, 2013 / 3:34 pm

If only we all had more lid space to fit all our crazy eye makeup hoarding problems 🙂 LOL!
      The lip is Guerlain Orgeuil, Romz!! SUPER LOVE THE SHADE, too!

• December 8, 2013 / 4:56 pm

Oh, I know Carina loves Orgeuil as well! Ahh I waaaaant but why is it so expensive! =(

• December 8, 2013 / 3:33 pm

This was a very outrageous challenge, Juvy – dared to use all 12, even. But I usually normally just use 3-4 shades 🙂

2. December 4, 2013 / 11:33 pm

It looks great! I usually use 3-4 colors, unless I’m getting crazy in which case I can use up to 6! <3

• December 8, 2013 / 3:32 pm

I see 3-4 colors is the most used number. Thanks for sharing, love!

3. December 5, 2013 / 12:27 am

wow 7 shades must be a record!
    I usually use only 3-4 shades, very rarely 7.
    I think your eye look is gorgeous and nicely blended, I dont think you need any more lessons 😉
    Hugs

• December 8, 2013 / 3:32 pm

Record for me, indeed. I have enough problem blending 3 shades at most usually! :)) I dont think this is a practical thing to do but it was fun to see myself almost crying in the corner!

4. December 5, 2013 / 2:40 am

Still looks gorgeous!!!! 🙂 <3 I just realized earlier how much I suck at applying eye shadows. But I still like to think that I am, just blessed with a very bad bunch of brushes and annoying eyelids hahaha. Palusot lang.

• December 8, 2013 / 3:29 pm

Palusot ko rin yan dati, but nasayangan na ako sa mga pinamili kong eye makeup that I really need to step up on my ‘skillz’ na. Haha!

5. GummyVision
    December 5, 2013 / 5:02 am

Ha ha I love this post and how candid you are about your eyeshadow skillz!!! It’s quite refreshing to hear I’m not the only beauty blogger who lacks in the eyeshadow application and subsequent blending department. Though I must say from the pictures you posted, you coulda fooled me!! 🙂 I’m pretty sure I’d love more eyeshadow brands/formulas/colors if I was better at applying eyeshadow. But I’m not. I kinda suck and I get so frustrated all the time! I even get frustrated with all those eyeshadow sticks…thought they were supposed to be easier or something but I was on the verge of purging all but 1 or 2 the other night because idk but I can’t seem to get the hang of a really good looking application – they end up setting before I can get them blended nicely. OH and blending. sheesh. That’s a whole other ball o’ wax!!! I have the MAC 217, TF and Goss blending brushes…all of which I think are very nice (though the MAC one I don’t care for bc I find it scratchy) but I can’t seem to get the hang of them or blending period. Maybe it’s the colors I’m choosing? Everyone says to practice practice practice. I do practice but still feel like I always have too much of a ‘line’. Sometimes I wonder if it’s because i wear primer…but I need primer because I have such oily lids. ACK!!! I need help tooooooo!!! LOL 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 3:28 pm

GUMMY!! I think we were too busy looking at pretty things when eyeshadow application skills were being handed out! I swear, I look at all those Instagram photos of beautifully crafted eye looks and I go.. WTF how do I do that? I blend, I follow the YT gurus, but it’s just not the saaaame. 😐 In the photos above, gosh, it took me almost an hour just to do the eyes. Kept on erasing because upon blending, it becomes one messy mud, muddy mess, whatever. And OMG same with the caviar sticks – I can’t get them to show nicely on my lids either which is why despite my urging soul, I couldn’t get myself to buy one till now. The MAC 217 is scratchy as HALEEE. At first, it was okay, but after a year now, it just hurts to even get it close to my lid. WE NEED AN ASIAN EYE BLENDING WORKSHOP!

• GummyVision
        December 13, 2013 / 9:38 am

LOLOLOL omg you make me laugh!!! Yeah I definitely missed THAT class, because eyeshadow skills I have NONE!!! Have you seen Flo from futilities and more?? Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/FutilitiesMore?feature=watch She’s my favorite so far because she’s got some mad blending skills and she’s almost an exact match for where my eye creases (my lid creases pretty much right at my lash line, so I have no space whatsoever to work with). That said, I’ve watched a bunch of her videos multiple times and still can’t even remotely do what she does. They all make it seem so eeeeaaaasy!!! I’m gonna be super dramatic here and say sometimes it makes me want to cry and purge all my shadows. But then I snap out of it and live on the hopes that maybe someday I’ll get it, even if just a little bit??? LOL I used a caviar stick this morning and was like REALLY if you, caviar stick, were my friend on FB I’d defriend you right about now. Muddy mess is spot on…doesn’t matter the color, texture or whatever…all just looks like I tried to apply it in the dark. Sigh. I’m really contemplating putting my 217 into the blog sale, but I keep thinking I’ll need it for comparisons if I ever do brush posts. Can I possibly complain anymore?!! ASIAN EYE BLENDING WORKSHOP – YES PLEASE!!! xo

6. December 5, 2013 / 8:56 am

I love single eyeshadow looks (probably because I don’t have much skill for blending, or I’m really lazy), I can’t even imagine trying to fit 7 shades into my tiny lid space, but I know it can be done, I have a friend that literally fits a whole rainbow onto hers.

• December 8, 2013 / 3:01 pm

Single eyeshadow looks are so tricky on me though Cel 🙁 I really admire those who can pull off single shadow looks! I think despite the small lid space, we can still create nice eye looks – takes much work nga lang! And wow at your friend who can fit in a rainbow – jealous!

7. Betzy Carmona
    December 5, 2013 / 12:01 pm

This is by far one of my favorite palettes

8. December 5, 2013 / 1:17 pm

This was a valiant effort, little lady! I’m not sure I could get all 12 shades on at once but now I’m curious…my favorite blending brushes are my MAC 216 SE – it came in the Archie’s Girls brush kit and is smaller, which works better for my smaller lids. I also like both fluffy crease brushes I’ve bought from Sonia Kashuk at Target! 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 3:00 pm

I will look at those brushes from Sonia Kashuk, Kristen! Thanks for the recommendation 🙂 And I would love to see you work with as much Naked 1 shades as you can! You have quite an area to work with given your beautiful lids!

• December 15, 2013 / 5:45 am

Awww! Thank you so much, Shari! You are a sweetie. I was sick when I got your response and it really brightened my day, so thanks! 🙂

9. December 5, 2013 / 2:43 pm

Haha that was a very valiant attempt! I have the exact same problems though – somehow my blending makes everything turn into one shade of mud. I guess I haven’t learned how to work with my brushes or my lid space, either!

• December 8, 2013 / 2:59 pm

I feel you, love. My lid space is quite tricky to work with too- the muddiness of blending, I get that a lot. Which is why most of the time, I use my pinky and ringer fingers to pat on shades and just use the blending brush sparingly when blending inside the mobile lid.

10. Keiti Dontcare
    December 5, 2013 / 3:21 pm

I’m not friends with the eyeliner too 😀

I have the same palette and have been contemplating on giving it to someone. Now I might try your ways of combining different shades ^_^

• December 8, 2013 / 2:45 pm

Dooon’t! I think maybe we just got bored with it, but it’s a good workhorse palette if we just make it to be that way 😉 And yesss, glad to know I’m not eyeliner’s only frenemy!

11. December 6, 2013 / 4:10 am

Haha this is awesome! It looks great!
    I usually use 2-4 shades. I have this palette too and it’s my favourite one 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 2:43 pm

2-4 shades is my usual, too. What are your most-used shades in this palette Isabelle?

12. Joanna
    December 6, 2013 / 9:37 am

Looks gorgeous! But maybe that has a lot more to do with you being able to pull anything off. 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 2:43 pm

Oh, wow naman thanks Joanna! *blush* But really, I can’t pull off everything or anything 😉 It takes work to make something work on my skintone, eyelid shape, etc. 🙂

13. December 6, 2013 / 2:17 pm

You did well using 7 shades from the palette!! The final look is really good~~ I think the most that I have ever used is 7 shades as well but that is for a blogpost. I probably use 3-4 at most for an everyday look.

• December 8, 2013 / 2:42 pm

Aw thank you, Liz! Much appreciated 🙂 For my everyday look, I use 2-3 shades only.

14. December 6, 2013 / 5:16 pm

I think I’ve used 5 shadows at most. I agree about the eyeliner bit. It’s tricky when I already have my eye-makeup on.

FMWL

• December 8, 2013 / 2:41 pm

5 eyeshadows is usally my max, too 🙂

• December 8, 2013 / 2:39 pm

Thanks Nicole! Do you have any looks you made na with this? What are your fave shades?

15. December 13, 2013 / 10:13 am

You did well using 7 shades, Shari! I tend to use Smog, Dark Horse and Half Baked a lot! But like you, I need blending lessons too. I love the Naked 1 palette.

Are you planning to get the Naked 3?