The Switch to Sulfate-Free – Be Organic Argan Oil Shampoo

02b2

The Switch

I’ve always wanted to make the long-term switch to sulfate-free way, way back but never pushed through with it because most sulfate-free shampoos I’ve tried don’t lather up (at all!!), which I know doesn’t mean cleaner hair yadda yadda, that it’s a marketing trick to make people think it’s working etc etc. But it’s not the non-lathering that’s the issue, it’s the leaving-me-with-flakes-and-itchy-scalp that makes it a deal-breaker. I’ve only really liked one sulfate-free shampoo but I couldn’t possibly keep up with it because of its bank-breaking price tag (yes, Pureology, I’m looking at you). Anyway, I stumbled upon this stall in Glorietta that sells local beauty products (of which most are eco-friendly and organic) which led me to discover this shampoo brand. Be Organic Argan Oil Shampoo is not only sulfate-free, it also has the ever-nourishing and moisturizing Argan Oil, which my dry and ultra-damaged hair badly needs. It’s very runny, almost watery but with a slightly thicker consistency than good ol’ H20. You need a good amount of product to make it lather well. I’m on my 3rd week and I’ve gone through 3/4 of the bottle already. Immediately after washing, hair feels kind of dry and stiff (which I’m not dismissing as bad because shampoos are meant to clean your hair, moisturize and further nourish it is conditioner’s job). Upon drying, my hair becomes quite the opposite, though — super straight (I mean, no frizziness or tangly mess) and soft. Sometimes, I skip on brushing and just comb through with my fingers and that’s it. I follow it up with Human Heart Nature Moisturizing Conditioner other days and well, that’s a whole other love story. 3

THE VERDICT

I like how this sulfate-free shampoo lathers and leaves my hair frizz-free and pin straight BUT one day after washing, I already feel my scalp itching as if I hadn’t showered for days. Ugh. TMI? I really wanted to love this because argan oil is one of my favorite hair treatments. I think I need to alternate this with a clarifying shampoo once in a while to really deeply clean my scalp and hair. I suspected it may also be due to the Human Heart Nature conditioner, but I’ve stopped using that for a while and continued using this shampoo to test if the itches disappear and they didn’t. So I’m 95% sure this may be the culprit. Still, I will continue my quest for the best sulfate-free shampoos in the market. Barely only a month into this sulfate-free and silicone-free journey yet I’ve already seen a MAJOR difference in my hair condition. It appears healthier with 90% less frizz (I really couldn’t believe it!) overall. Have you made the switch yet? Any sulfate-free and silicone-free shampoos you recommend?

1. Kat
    November 26, 2013 / 10:30 am

Moroccan Oil. A tried and true product!

• November 28, 2013 / 1:05 pm

Does Moroccan Oil have silicones? 🙂 Will look for it! Thanks Kat!

2. inna
    November 27, 2013 / 6:58 pm

looks interesting, will try this soon. People say you should switch shampoos every 3-4 days to really feel the effects. I use zenutrients with some other shampoos to prevent hairfall.

• November 28, 2013 / 1:05 pm

Oooh, Zenutrients also caught my attention recently while I was searching for local organic brands. What can you say about their shampoos? 🙂

3. Jhen Valderama
    November 28, 2013 / 7:51 am

I should try this! How much does it cost pala Shari hihi?

prettypracticalmom.blogspot.com

• November 28, 2013 / 1:05 pm

Hi Jhen! This is around Php350 🙂

4. November 30, 2013 / 11:00 am

THANK YOU for this reco, Jacqueline! Off to do some exploring on iHerb now!!

5. Lee
    December 12, 2013 / 3:37 pm

Try the one from VMV Hypoallergenics! They have an SLES & SLS free version of their original shampoo. 🙂

• January 30, 2014 / 6:02 pm

Hi Lee! Thanks for the reco, will check it out! That reminds me, I have a facial due with VMV soon 🙂

6. Eileen
    December 12, 2013 / 3:47 pm

I tried the rose & geranium shampoo and conditioner set from Made by David Organics (Taste Central), and I didn’t experience any itchy feeling at all. It made my hair soft and smooth naman, but sadly I won’t repurchase. My scalp usually oils up fast while the rest of my hair is dry-normal, and napansin ko with the David Organics shampoo it made my hair greasy faster (e.g. after lunch oily na sa scalp). Usually kapag organic/natural yung shampoo my hair gets greasy faster, but regular commercial shampoos make my hair too dry and frizzy naman. 🙁 Don’t know what to do tuloy haha! Hope you share more of your shampoo finds! :3

• January 30, 2014 / 6:02 pm

Hi Eileen! That’s the problem with sulfate-free shampoos, they dont really totally clean your hair so the oils come out faster than usual. same with me! Do you condition the ends of your hair lang ba? Baka the conditioner gets to your roots – that contributes to super oiliness and greasiness! Also, do you use a clarifying shampoo once a week or twice (depending on need!)? What I’m using now is Human Heart Nature Moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I use the clarifying one once or twice a week and I’m not experiencing any itchy scalp so far! 🙂

I will continue updating you on finds, sure!

7. Ann
    July 22, 2016 / 7:12 pm

Hi, can you suggest any clarifying shampoo? 🙂