NARS Lip Pencil Lovin’: Some Swatches

November 8, 2013

1 4

Second Chances

My first NARS lip pencil was the Velvet Matte in Bolero which was absolutely horrific on my dry, cannot-be-saved lips. Emphasizing lines, increases flakiness, ack! It was not a pretty sight. So when the Satin lip pencils launched, you can’t blame me for not offering my lips to submission right away.

But just as in life, everything deserves a second chance. And that second chance materialized on that fateful day I said yes to that NARS SA for a free makeover. Why did I ever ignore you, Satin Lip Pencil? I was immediately sold on the first shade she put on me which was Lodhi. It wasn’t even a color I would go for if I had to pick one myself.

But the lightweight, creamy but doesn’t settle in lines nor emphasizes flakiness and equally long-lasting formula won me over that I didn’t care if the shade suited me at all. Gimme gimme. For more of my rave on this, check my Lodhi review.

I won’t blab too much on this post, instead will leave you with swatches and photos of these lip pencils. I also picked up Cruella, another velvet matte, to add to my collection because I’ve been eyeing it for a while. Another red to add to my small collection of red lipsticks! I really like this red on me, a rival to my MAC Viva Glam I loyalty.

It is unlike the Bolero formula that really is honestly ghastly on my lips. Cruella is ultra-pigmented, long-lasting, great when first applied but as time passes, it does eventually dry it out. Thankfully, not to the point of peeling and cracking. But still, proper prepping is needed to achieve optimal matte perfection. I like the color, though so I’m willing to do all the prep needed! But no more Velvet Mattes for me from now on. I’ll stick to the Satins.
0looks

Dont be afraid of Second chances

Yes, I had to end this in such cheesiness. Kidding aside, the NARS Satin Lip Pencils are lurve for me. I don’t really recommend the Velvet Mattes because they are painfully drying but since I rarely ever like a red, I still picked up Cruella despite my better judgement. The Pure Matte lipsticks (I have one in Carthage) fairs better than these matte lip pencils, so go for those if you’re adamant on mattes.

I also picked up Satin Lip Pencil Biscayne Park recently but failed to include it here because I forgot I had it. It’s a light peach that’s perfect for everyday!

The downside to these lip pencils? They’re lip pencils!!! Not a fan of the pencil form in terms of packaging. Plus, I hate the fact I have to sharpen and waste product in the process.

How about some more reading?

38 comments

Isabelle November 8, 2013 at 7:03 am

Oh whaw, Cruella looks so lush on you! I’m definitely getting one of the Velvet pencils next time I’m in London.. Been eyeing them for too long now!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Thank you, Isabelle! There are so many beautiful shades, it’s hard not to like anything! 🙂 Cant wait for your selections if you do pick some up!

Hannah November 8, 2013 at 8:31 am

I’ve never been into lipsticks that much (chapped lips constantly being my problem) however, these lip pencils are tempting me so much. Sad that NARS is quite expensive for a student’s budget. But I really want Lodhi!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Temptalia is such a temptress!! Her swatches always get me! And I love your picks, Hannah. Lodhi, Yu and Biscayne Park are great choices. For a student, I’d recommend getting Biscayne Park as an everyday nude that wont call out too much attention. I may have a giveaway soon so if youre up for winning, keep checking back here lang 🙂

MakeupWithTea November 8, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Lodhi looks so pretty! I really like how they all complement you very well – especially Lodhi and Cruella. I have to admit though, Cruella takes some boldness to be worn. I recall swatching Cruella once in the mall and was pretty horrified at how bold it was. But yeah, it’s very pretty on you! 😀

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Thank you love!!! Cruella is bold, but I love it! I usually shy away from such but this one, I’m confident wearing even if it’s not a special event. I just love it!

MakeupWithTea November 12, 2013 at 1:38 am

That’s so great to hear!!!

Mishelle's Sleepy Time November 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I just got a set of these lip pencils, I am such a fan of the formula of the matte ones!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:51 pm

The weightlessness of the mattes is a true winner in my book. I also love the shades! What set did you get Mish?

Carina November 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Ganda lahat!! Haha I love the VMLP, they’re so creamy on me so I’m surprised at your bad experience with Bolero. Maybe the lightness adds emphasis? Haha I don’t sharpen mine up to a point, and some people save the sharpened bits (siyempre the product lang) and store them in little pots for future use!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Youre right ata gurl, I think it’s just Bolero because its too light that it emphasizes. Cruella isn’t like it at all. What Velvet Mattes do you have? 🙂 Hihi curious me. And thank you for the tip on saving the sharpened bits… brilliant!

Liz November 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm

All 3 colors look beautiful on you!! Cruella is such a pretty colour.

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks, Liz!

Sunny @Mostly Sunny November 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Ahh I have Lodhi too and it looks GREAT on you! I have already sharpened mine once, and I’d really suggest you put it in the freezer before you do that. Otherwise it’d most probably end up really messy!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for the tip on sharpening frozen, Sunny! Will keep that in mind!!

Sharlynn November 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I love Lodhi best! It’s such a great warm fresh midtone shade that brightens and at the same time makes a great contrast against your lovely light tan skin!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for your sweet comment, Sharlynn! I do love Lodhi, too 🙂

Scatterbraintures November 8, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Cruella! <3

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I <333 it too!

Scatterbraintures November 14, 2013 at 12:27 am

Still getting over my disappointment over a Nars Pure Matte Lipstick. BUT… Maybe this one’s better.

Victoria November 9, 2013 at 1:31 am

I’ve been meaning to buy a NARS Satin Lip Pencil. Hmmm..soon! Lol

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Soon! 🙂 Will wait for your pick!

Kisty Mea November 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I’m not a fan of lip pencils but love the shades. Lodhi looks great on you!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm

I wasnt either but these totally converted me 🙂 Thanks, Kisty!

sleepandwater November 9, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Bolero is so, so pretty! I’m such a sucker for those kinds of pale, milky pinks.

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Pale milky pinks are beautiful against your skintone so I must imagine your love for them! 🙂 On me, they look rather ashy 🙁

the coattail effect November 10, 2013 at 5:35 am

ooh the packaging looks so nice on these! the last one looks beautiful on you 🙂

btw do you have any suggestions for relatively cheap, nice liquid eyeliners? I have oily lids, so it’s always hard for me to find a good one, but I’m also broke haha

kim
thecoattaileffect.blogspot.com

Shari November 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Hi dear! Thank you 🙂 To be honest, I havent tried a drugstore brand that didnt smudge on my oily lids either. One of the best is K-Palette, really smudge-proof. Try also Stila’s All Day Waterproof Liquid liner which is around $20. Y

Sunday Link Love, Volume #162 | FFBlogs November 11, 2013 at 2:54 am

[…] A second chance at love with NARS Satin Lip Pencils [The Misty Mom] […]

RxBeautyChic November 11, 2013 at 3:40 am

Ohh my eyes are instantly drawn to Lodhi! Good job NARS SA! Lohdi looks lovely on you!

My only experience has been with the NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencils…now I see it’s time for me to try this too!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thank youu, Lodhi looks like a winner based on the discussion here! 🙂 Must get yourself a Satin Lip Pencil or Velvet Matte 🙂 So many beautiful shades to choose from!

Erika de Jesus November 11, 2013 at 4:34 am

I have Bolero and Cruella too, but I’m not too fond of Bolero for the same reasons you have. Maybe layering it with a different color would work out for you? It does on me! 🙂

…Lodhi looks like a wonderful color, BTW. I have almost all of NARS’ Velvet Matte Lip Pencils but not a single Satin Lip Pencil. Might just give them a try thanks to your post! Lovely blog!

Check out Erika’s Secret Closet at: http://erikadjesus.wordpress.com <3

Shari November 11, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Thanks for the tip, Erika. Will try to layer a gloss, maybe, with Bolero. Im thinking NARS Turkish Delight! Will let you know how it fares. And wow, you have almost all the Velvet Mattes! time for you to try a Satin Lip pencil then 🙂

Erika de Jesus November 12, 2013 at 4:53 am

It’s really nice how you take the time to reply to everyone’s comments. Looking forward to more of your posts! 🙂

Erika

Kristen / Glambunctious November 11, 2013 at 6:54 am

Lodhi looks like it was made for you! I love it! I just got 2 of the lip pencils in the NARS Lip Fling kit and I had no idea I’d love them as much as I do! I bought the kit mainly because the 2 lipsticks are awesome and I love the lip case, but the pencils have really surprised me! Baroque is a surprisingly wearable red for me and the texture is lovely. 🙂 Yay NARS!

Shari November 11, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Aww thanks Kristen! I’m really overwhelmed on how everyone thinks Lodhi looks on me! I love it even more now, lol. And I’m so happy you love these Lip Pencils as much as I do. I was taken aback by the texture of these seemingly innocuous pieces of pencils, as well. Baroque looks lovely! Cant wait to see it on you!

Ae November 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I soo want to get Cruella but I really cant get another red lipstick, can I? Just got MAC Lady Danger, that kinda killed the itch. 😐 You look really pretty in Lodhi. 🙂

Shari December 4, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Ae, hihi thanks 🙂 I think you can skip Cruella na. Wait, Lady Danger is orange-red right? Pero ako, I planned on skipping out on Cruella too at first cos I had Viva Glam I which is almost similar. But then I tried it on the counter and wala na, hold-up na. If you dont want to be tempted, dont try it on! I think it’ll look suuuper beautiful on you, though (lalo na your skintone!). Heehee.