Non-Beauty Faves: Scented Candles & Room Mists

1 6

New obsession alert

My whole grade-school perception on candles (last-minute presents to friends!) changed as my intrigue with Diptyque turned into love at first sniff. I happened to pass by Essenses in Rockwell to check out some Laura Mercier caviar sticks when I suddenly got a whiff of a delectably pleasant rose/fig/black currant scent. The scent permeated the whole area where I was swatching those beautiful caviar sticks that I actually hopped on over to the Diptyque counter to investigate. Turns out it was the most-raved candle in the blogosphere – Baies. Unfortunately, I had to slap myself a little when I asked for the price because I thought I heard Php3250 ($75). Turns out, I did. It does cost a whopping Php3250. Steep city, much. It’s not even how I feel about the price. It’s thinking how my husband, my family and my friends would react if they knew I spent that much on a candle. Hi I’m Shari and I burn money (in an almost literal way).

Alice Blue candles

I then stumbled upon Alice Blue while walking around Rockwell still overcoming my initial shock. Alice Blue is a local Filipino brand that’s actually been around for quite some time now that produces soy-based wax candles. Soy-based candles burn much cleaner and even purportedly longer than regular paraffin wax candles. They are also better for the environment as they are biodegradable (yay to reduced landfills!). Paraffin wax, on the other hand, emit petro-chemicals that cause soot deposits and carcinogenic particulate matter. The downside to soy-based candles, however, is their price! They are twice, thrice and can go up to four times as expensive as paraffin candles.

Mia Maison

I also bought some Mia Maison home mists in Green Tea and Fresh Bamboo. I spray these on to curtains, linens and to the whole room to instantly leave it smelling “new” and “refreshed”, in loose terms.34 5 So far I’ve tried the three above – Sea DaffodilPalawan Mystique and Mediterranean Fig. I really can’t describe scents no matter how hard I try so I won’t pretend I can. I will tell you that the three I bought are all fresh, by-the-beach scents that don’t lean too floral nor too fruity. The subtlest among them is Mediterranean Fig, which I will not be repurchasing. While my favorite is Sea Daffodil, one I’ve already finished and have already repurchased. Both that and Palawan Mystique have excellent throws (or distance scent travels throughout a room while a candle is burning). I leave them burning for at least an hour and I can even smell the scent travelling downstairs when the bedroom door is open. Before I got into candles, I realized there was a science to candle lighting. This made me appreciate the whole thing more, which eventually got me hooked to it. I’ll share a few tips I learned from the Diptyque guy (who already knows me because I always pass by and sniff Baies when I have time) who made me a toe closer to purchasing that darn overpriced candle.

Candle Lighting Tips

* Always trim your wick before lighting. The shorter, the less wick it burns making for a much cleaner burn. These ‘cleaner burns’ are what you want because these produce the scent that fills the room when mixed with the fragrant oils. If the wick burns more, you’d be smelling the soot instead. *Amount of burn time is important! Some people dismiss candles because they don’t produce scents almost immediately upon lighting. It ain’t like that, folks. Rule of thumb is burn an hour for every diameter inch. You gotta wait for a ‘meltpool’ to form before you can start smelling something. This also allows for even melting of the wax so you avoid those god-forbid hollows that leave side residues. *Dip it, don’t blow it. Finally, don’t extinguish the flame as if it’s your birthday. You gotta dip the wick into the pool and pull it back up after. This just saves you from a soot-smelling room.
That’s it! I hope you enjoyed reading something other than my usual barrage of makeup madness. How about you? Are you at all interested in candles or any kind of home scents (diffusers, etc.)?

1. November 4, 2013 / 7:34 pm

I’ve been passing by an Alice Blue stall for so long but I’ve never checked them out! Thanks for blogging about them! 🙂 Btw, have you tried Bath & Body Works candles? Worth the hype and money!

• November 7, 2013 / 3:00 am

Are we souuul sisters, Romz? Haha! Always on the lookout for the same things halos! 🙂 I havent tried BBW – how to order them?! I doubt they’re available anywhere here :'( And what scents do you reco?

• November 7, 2013 / 10:40 am

Gcash-Amex! Then ship via cargo ’cause Mahalia Jackson if by air haha Mahogany Teakwood, Leaves & Sweater Weather! Btw, they’re on 2 for $22 right now *nudge nudge*

2. Raven
    November 4, 2013 / 8:02 pm

Would be a sin to say that I’ve bought a Diptyque candle? 🙁 Fell in love with this perfume (forgot the name) and I just decided to buy the candle as well cuz it just smelled so good. Especially when I would burn the candle for just about 10 mins. before I sleep then blow it out, it leaves me in a dream like haze before I even fall asleep. Also tried BB&W and I’d say they’re a pretty good “dupe” for them!

• November 7, 2013 / 3:02 am

NOOOOO Raven.. def not a sin! It’s just that I spend too much on other things so I feel that I dont deserve to buy a Diptyque candle! Hehe. What’s the candle you bought??? Can I just go over to your place and stay for half an hour smelling your candle? HAHAHA. Yah nga, Romz below is telling me about the BBW candles. Any scent recommendations?

3. Coco
    November 4, 2013 / 10:20 pm

Mediterranean fig! I must smell it x

• November 7, 2013 / 3:02 am

These are only available locally though, Coco 🙁

4. November 4, 2013 / 11:01 pm

Those candles look so nice! I’m big on scented candles too, particularly when it’s always dark and cold and gray outside in autumn/winter 😉

• November 7, 2013 / 3:03 am

Oh yes, definitely great for the autumn/winter season I can imagine! I love curling up in my comforter with the AC blasted on when I light these candles 🙂

5. Jenny
    November 5, 2013 / 3:32 am

I’ve never heard of Alice Blue candles–I’m going to have to check them out and see if I can get them here. I am utterly addicted to Diptyque. They are my favorite. I’m ashamed to say I have more than a few. Feu de Bois is my current obsession–perfect for fall and winter.

• November 7, 2013 / 3:04 am

Hi Jenny! Sadly, these Alice Blue candles are only available locally here in the PH. I’ve smelled Feu de Bois and it smells so gooood too! Ahhh you Diptyque lovers are all enabling me! haha

• Jenny
        November 7, 2013 / 3:15 am

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’ve tried a lot of other candles besides Diptyque–less expensive and more expensive. Diptyque just seems to be my favorite–to me they have the strongest scents, the best throw. I love everything about them. For “yummy” scents, I go with less expensive candles though. Candles are just addicting, lol.

6. November 6, 2013 / 1:39 am

I’ve only ever tried ones from Bath & Body Works (I like the mason jars that it comes in, lol). This looks interesting, though. Might check it out 🙂

• November 7, 2013 / 3:05 am

Lotsa BBW candle lovers here!! Im curious na talaga. What scents have you tried V?

• November 7, 2013 / 4:12 am

So far just the Marshmallow Fireside and Leaves Mason Jar Candles. And they both smell heavenly. Plus the mason jars can be used as eyeliner/mascara/lipliner/brush containers, haha. I bought mine through an online seller. Her instagram account’s @cultscents if you’re interested 🙂

• November 7, 2013 / 4:24 am

Thanks for this love!!! Been looking for a seller. Thought wala! 🙂 Excited to try my first BBW candle!

7. November 12, 2013 / 1:38 am

“burn money in an almost literal way” – made me laugh ^^. i didnt know that this brand is local pala. i keep seeing it in ebay every time i search for BBW candles. I noticed that their scents are mostly nature inspired. i prefer sweet scents a little bit more ^^ if maybe you want to try sweet scents i recently found several Hershey / kisses / skittles and other popular chocolate brands that created their own candle scent in ace hardware 😀