A Beautiful Not-So-Nude in Rouge Dior Grege Lipstick

1 2

Not-so-nude Nude

I used to avoid nude lips like a plague. Scared of being too washed out that instead of intending to look polished, I end up looking like I need a polish. After a few hits and misses, I realized the kind of nude that best suits my yellow-toned Asian skin is somewhere between the peachy-nude and pinky-nude balance. No more concealer-like nudes for me. Grege is part of the newly-formulated Rouge Dior lipsticks that were recently launched this year. I have a tube from the old Rouge Dior line my Mom gave me that was loved and abused way before I got into makeup. It was a creamy love that didn’t result in babies (other shade purchases) because I felt it was only so-so. After trying quite a few lipstick brands, I now know (a bit) better.  3

THE LOWDOWN

The new Rouge Dior lipsticks are first, extremely moisturizing on the lips. Not totally surprised by this since I swear by Dior’s Lip Glow as my ultimate lip balm. I’ve tried everything – Carmex, Chapstick, Blistex, but found that these balms only served to moisturize temporarily. For some reason, my lips love Lip Glow best. Days after, my lips are still moisturized. Anyway, saving that for another review. But suffice it to say that there came a point in time where I ditched all lipsticks and wore Lip Glow all the time instead. The finish is quite lightweight, with a certain slight creaminess that definitely looks glossy but is actually satiny. During application, I feel like I’m putting on my Dior Lip Glow instead of an actual lipstick. It’s probably because I got a nudey color that I can get away with applying it on my puckers sans a mirror. It also has just the right slip that prevents it from becoming a terrible mess to apply. 4 5 Pigmentation is medium but buildable. One swipe yields a sheer, balmy feel. Two swipes give almost complete coverage. Three swipes makes it fully opaque, but creamier than what I’d like. I can’t speak for the other shades as this review is only for Grege. I’m thinking that probably the other, darker shades have better pay-off and don’t need three swipes for full opacity. The downside is it’s not at all long-lasting for me. By the three hour mark, I can see this sliding off my lips even if I haven’t eaten yet. I have a few fixes to this problem though: 1. blot down after application to reduce creaminess and 2. use a lip pencil beneath. 6b 7 Compared to the other nudes in my stash, it looks most similar to MAC Velvet Teddy only Grege is more beige, and Velvet Teddy leans more peach. It looks like the darkest among all, but it doesn’t translate like this to my lips at all unless I swipe it two-three times.  a3a2b

IN SUMMARY

I love Grege. Even if it doesn’t look so nude on me because it leans more on the peach side. When I feel like skipping out on pinkish Lip Glow-ed lips, this is my alternative. The one-swipe photo is how I usually wear it — a quick no-brainer look that acts as a lip treatment as well. I do like the color when heavily applied, but it was layered on almost three times and isn’t quite forgiving on lip lines, albeit still moisturizing. Wish it were more long-lasting but then again for a lip product that doesn’t suck the moisture out of my lips, I’m willing to reapply as needed. I do like this enough that I might check out other shades in the future. Definitely one of the more moisturizing, hydrating formulas I’ve tried.

Have you tried any of the new Rouge Dior lipsticks? What other shades would you recommend?

1. November 11, 2013 / 3:13 am

Look so stunning on you. I would say it looks rather nude 😉
    On me it is a bit too peachy, so doesn’t brighten up my look but if the eyes are very heavy, I opt for this one. I am loving the hydrating quality too.

• November 11, 2013 / 4:21 pm

Thank you Sara! I thought it leaned a bit peach but then again, I was used to washed-out nude shades. Thankful for this beautiful nude that doesnt suck moisture off my already parched puckers!

2. Florencia Alarcón Rivero
    November 11, 2013 / 4:01 am

Gorgeous, I’m still looking for the perfect nude for myself .

I’ve just heard the terrible news about the Philippines.. the first thing I thought was you.. are you are your family okey???? please let me know xx

• November 11, 2013 / 4:23 pm

Hi Flo, thank you for your thoughts and concern, really appreciate it. My family and I are okay because our city was not directly affected, but so many of my countrymen are devastated. Almost an entire province washed out 🙁 Thank you for your thoughts again, much appreciated.

3. November 11, 2013 / 4:06 am

Hey Shari, I agree this one might not be that nude for everyone, though on me it’s a nude that doesn’t wash me out! The lasting power isn’t as great with this one as it is with the bolder shades in the line-up, but it’s so moisturizing and easy to apply that I could make an exception for more frequent reapplication.

• November 11, 2013 / 4:24 pm

Tell me about it, Sunny. I saw this on you which actually gave me a little more push to get it. Definitely moisturizing and all of the above you mentioned! Wouldnt mind reapplication as well. I think of it just like a lip balm!

4. November 11, 2013 / 5:25 am

I actually love that it’s not too nude on you. Really love the slight peachyness in it. I am very tempted to get this myself, especially seeing how pretty it looks on you ^^.

• November 11, 2013 / 4:36 pm

Thank you so much, Teri! I’m sure it would look prettier on you and your skintone! 🙂 May I ask what nudes are in your lipstick arsenal that you currently love?

• November 12, 2013 / 7:48 pm

I’m currently really loving Givenchy Rose D’Exception. It pulls a bit mauve but it’s a great one! I don’t really do very nude lippies tho, I prefer mlbb lippies ^^.

5. November 11, 2013 / 5:32 am

Looks like a perfect MLBB!

• November 11, 2013 / 4:36 pm

The first one looks quite like an MLBB but a bit peachy 🙂

• November 11, 2013 / 4:36 pm

6. November 11, 2013 / 7:05 am

Umm…this is FABULOUS! And now you’ve made me want it. LOL! Gorgeousness on you, and I’m a huge fan of anything I can apply without a mirror!

• November 11, 2013 / 4:37 pm

Thank you Kristen! And yes definitely a fan of no-mirror-necessary products too!

7. November 11, 2013 / 7:30 am

I haven’t picked up any of the new Dior lipsticks yet–I might have to start with this one. You look stunning. Looks like a perfect shade that anyone could wear.

• November 11, 2013 / 4:38 pm

Thanks Jenny! Their new Rouge lipsticks are quite raved about so I would recommend those. Dior Addict Extreme and Dior Addict are also great formulas!

8. November 11, 2013 / 1:01 pm

Ok. This is such a beautiful color! Omgggg <3

• November 11, 2013 / 4:38 pm

Thanks, V!

• November 11, 2013 / 4:39 pm

Thank you Jen!! 🙂

9. Coco
    November 11, 2013 / 4:19 pm

It’s gorgeous omg!

• November 11, 2013 / 4:39 pm

Thanks, Coco!

10. November 11, 2013 / 8:29 pm

Wow, this is a really beautiful colour on you! It’s super flattering on your skin tone 🙂

• November 15, 2013 / 9:17 pm

Thank you, I didnt think it would flatter my skintone at first but definitely glad you think so 🙂

11. kmmyp
    November 11, 2013 / 9:52 pm

I love the color of this lipstick. It looks good on you!

• November 15, 2013 / 9:17 pm

Hi Keemji! Thank you 🙂

12. November 12, 2013 / 3:38 am

Too bad it’s not very long-lasting, because the color is just stunning!

• November 15, 2013 / 9:18 pm

I know :'( But because it’s rather moisturizing, I forgive its poor longevity! 🙂

13. November 12, 2013 / 9:25 am

This looks gorgeous on you! I’m the same way with my nude lipsticks — I despise the concealer lip look. My go-to nudes are MAC’s Cherish, Viva Glam II, and Faux. This shade looks totally up my alley, though, and I also love the Dior Rouge formula, so I may have to check this out. 🙂

• November 15, 2013 / 9:19 pm

Oooh, I love Faux too but it’s very drying on me 🙁 One hour in, my lips are sucked of moisture! 🙁 It’s a very lovely nude everyday color though! I believe it was also one of my most-used MACs 🙂

14. November 12, 2013 / 12:29 pm

beautiful!! I’ve been doing a good job to resist my self from getting one of these 🙁 I don’t use nude colours since it looks horrible on me so I know how you feel! I swear by Lip Glow as well haha~ The packgaging of the Dior Rouge is drop dead gorgeous too!

• November 15, 2013 / 9:19 pm

You should try pinky-nudes, then! 🙂 And yay for Lip Glow lovers!

15. Polished Pinay
    November 13, 2013 / 11:48 am

That color looks lovely on you. I’m a big fan of this line’s formula as well. My perfect red is Dior Red Carpet 🙂 Oohh I have terribly dry lips as well but I found the Chanel Hydramax lip care to be more effective than the Lip Glow, maybe you should check it out 🙂

• November 15, 2013 / 9:21 pm

Hi Jeiflyn! Thanks for the reco! I’ll check out Red Carpet the next time I stop by a counter pero medyo matagal pa yon, kinda on a ban now. Although I might not be able to resist that Chanel Hydramax lip care cos my Dior Lip Glow is almost out! And Im super curious cos you believe it’s more effective!

16. samantha ashley
    November 13, 2013 / 3:01 pm

Hey Shari! I love this color on you!!!!

I’ve been looking for a perfect nude, and like you said, the problem is looking too washed out 🙁

I am soooo tempted to get this now! hehe

xx
    Sam

• November 15, 2013 / 9:22 pm

Yay for non-washed out looking nudes! I urge you to try this then! Although shade varies from lip to lip because of its sheerness which reacts differently with others 🙂 Hope this is THE ONE nude for you!

17. Replica
    November 15, 2013 / 4:08 am

I really like this shade and it looks beautiful on you, I really like this newer formula, I think I have 4 or 5 of them now and probably “need” a few more 🙂

• November 15, 2013 / 9:22 pm

Oooh, what are those other 4 or 5? Curious!

• Replica
        November 21, 2013 / 3:56 am

#365 Rose Songe
        #361 Rose Baiser
        #468 Rose Bonheur
        #434 Brun Samarcande

I basically went for the more everyday types of shades 🙂

18. November 16, 2013 / 6:44 pm

Ooohhh I heard about this color and now that I see it, it is soooo pretty!