Tom Ford Orchid Haze Eyeshadow Quad

“I don’t pop Molly..”

…I’ll let Jay-Z finish that one. I’m still too busy ogling at this beauty, ain’t got no time for any Tom Ford songs. I actually picked up another Tom Ford palette a month back but figured since this one is from the Fall 2013 collection, I’ll share it here first. Ever since I got the hang of putting on eyeshadow and seeing what it does for my whole look, I’ve been in constant search for great formulations, hoping to find the best ones. Never mind if the shades I choose are all neutral, boring, safe and never out-there. I. want. buttery. smooth. shadows. that. don’t. crease. and. last. all. day.

34 Eye Must Be Crazy..

I have professed my top eyeshadow picks to be Guerlain quads, recently adding Dolce & Gabbana to the list. I love my Urban Decay Naked palettes, but I’ve been reaching for my Lorac Pro more often than I reach for either of them. Chanel quads are hit-or-miss for me so I can’t include the whole brand in the list. I have yet to try a Dior quint because its frostiness turns me off even before I get close enough to swatch it. And I’m patiently awaiting for my first Burberry eyeshadow which Enzo snapped up in Amsterdam. This mild obsession ultimately led me to the irrational decision to finally try Tom Ford. I was never tempted enough to purchase any Tom Ford item before (lipstick, blush, nail polish). For some reason, when I got into this eyeshadow phase, all sense and discernment were thrown out the window. Ta ta, ciao, see you soon (please come back). 6 Do you see golddiamondswarovski crystals anywhere in this ingredient list? What the hell is in this palette that makes it so expensive?! Oh yes, Tom Ford’s name. The palette costs USD78 (around Php3,350), Guerlain, Chanel quads and Dior quints are usually USD60, tops (except for holiday palettes). Come to think of it though, it’s almost the same price as a Chanel quad in local pricing (around Php3,250), only you get 10g worth of product (Chanel has 6g). So really, it’s not sooo bad (my poor attempt at justifying my purchase). 51

The Lowdown

Tom Ford Orchid Haze is one of the less glittery slash shimmery quads in Mr. T’s collection. It consists of lovely shades of: shimmery pinky champagne, shimmery rose mauve/ slightly taupe, matte eggplant/aubergine, satin-matte dusty rose. I’ve seen several swatches online and they all look different in certain lighting, cameras and screens that it’s really difficult to see the palette’s true shades.

TEXTURE & PIGMENTATION

Wow, smooth and buttery are understatements for the texture of this particular palette. My first Tom Ford palette was smooth too, but not like this. No gritty or crumbly mess upon swiping, just finely-milled, fully-packed pigment in here, folks. The darkest shade feels quite dry (compared to the others) because of its matte finish but its dryness definitely doesn’t equate to unworkable and unblendable. As for pigmentation, one swipe was all it took to produce the swatches above. The darkest shade looks a tiny bit patchy on the swatch (I just used my fingers) but when picked up with a dense eyeshadow brush, it ceases to be. It’s not so intensely pigmented (as compared to say, Lorac Pro, just see below) that it becomes hard to blend on the lid. If you want to intensify, it’s easy to build up. 2 3

Shade Comparisons

I whipped out my Guerlain Le Bois de Rose which I thought would be quite close to Orchid Haze, but turns out that it definitely leans more on the pinker/rose side while Orchid Haze is on the mauve wavelength. And though I love Le Bois de Rose, when I swatched it again, it didn’t quite give me the same satisfaction it did before. I only did one swipe swatches to compare it with Orchid Haze. Look at the difference. GASP.  I also compared it to some Lorac Pro shades which turns out are not even on the same color tree as Orchid Haze. One swipe swatches are shown above, too. c4

Will I Rock More Tom Ford?

Sadly (for my pockets), YES! Although, I will have to rely on swatches and reviews online first before purchasing any palette. Not all TF quads are created equal. Some are a bit drier in texture, some are sparkle-galore, some are just okay. But there are a few stunning gems that are worth having in your makeup collection. Orchid Haze did not disappoint in all aspects. I truly enjoy the pigmentation, the delightful texture and the ease of blendability (which is muy importante for me because am a lazyass who hates taking so much time to blend). Not to mention its longevity —it stayed crease-free on my non-primed lids the whole day. Does it warrant $78? Well, we all differ in perception so value is relative. To me personally, it’s not worth all of $78. But since I enjoy and am absurdly won over by the quality and all other reasons I stated above, I’ll be forking over my wallet for Tom Ford when eyeshadow quads like this are created.
Price: $78 (Locally, Php4800 in Make Up Pro) Purchased at Neiman Marcus with my GCASH-AMex Virtual Pay card. Also available at Nordstrom Online. *No affiliate links

1. October 17, 2013 / 8:28 pm

Oh noooo now I really want it, too! I wasn’t so sure if the colors would look good on my skin tone, but after seeing it on you, I think it could work! Oh dang it. I need to look for it when I’m at Heathrow next Sunday 🙂

• October 18, 2013 / 8:25 pm

Sunny! I’m sure you can definitely pull this off. I particularly like mauve tones on my eyes so this was too good to pass up on. If you do pick it up, I’m excited to see it on you!!

2. Amy
    October 17, 2013 / 9:20 pm

I’d really love this but over in the UK the quads are the equivalent to almost $100, it’s depressing! Think I’ll stick to the slightly cheaper ones. The colours look fab on you though!

• October 18, 2013 / 8:37 pm

Here in the Philippines, it costs more than $100!! 🙁 Best to order online through a courier-forwarding company that has minimal shipping fee, Amy!

3. October 17, 2013 / 10:04 pm

Soooooo pretty – I love the look you created! Tom Ford is uber expensive – I thoroughly enjoyed your line about whether there were any precious metals in the ingredients list hah! I have the Emerald Lust quad but the colours aren’t usually what I’d go for. Definitely wish I had something more neutral like this one or Cognac Sable or Golden Mink.

• October 18, 2013 / 8:43 pm

I thought maybe the shimmers are shredded swarovski crystals, lol. Oh and Emerald Lust is so pretty, too. Definitely a good choice for non-neutral lovers! I have Cognac Sable, actually (and just got gifted Golden Mink yday). Will do posts about them soon! I actually use Cognac Sable often, despite being glittery and shimmery. Golden Mink is more a subdued neutral 🙂

4. October 18, 2013 / 12:21 am

Lovely! Very sophisticated, this color palette. And the look you’ve created with it is really great.

• October 18, 2013 / 8:44 pm

Thanks, darling!

5. October 18, 2013 / 1:22 am

This is absolutely pretty! Too bad I’m too broke to afford this (I don’t know if I should be happy about it or sad, haha). I love the look that you created! <3

• October 18, 2013 / 8:45 pm

Victoria, be happy! Hihi. We definitely don’t need this in our lives, it’s just a perk-me-upper. Something nice to have, but not a must-have 😉 Youre not missing out on anything!

6. October 18, 2013 / 1:23 am

ahhhh it is sooooo pretty on you :). I’d say you should skip dior. So much shimmer!! less hit or miss than chanel in my experience, but still not worth it given everything else out there. Burberry has spoiled me forever, I’ve given up on most other powder shadow formulas, including UD, chanel, dior, lol!

• October 18, 2013 / 8:51 pm

YAY thank you for killing my curiosity on Dior, Joyce. I just got my first Burberry shadow yesterday and cant wait to marry, I mean swatch it! LOL. Any must-have shade singles?

• October 19, 2013 / 1:33 am

LOL! Which shade did you get? I’d say skip the blue, black, and pale pink burberry shades but ALL of the others are amazing hehe. I actually use dark sable and pale barley alot! I think almond makes a great crease shade, and my newest is mulberry! 🙂 And ya, dior is similar to chanel in my experience, maybe a bit softer but otherwise the same-ish!

• October 19, 2013 / 1:47 am

Midnight Brown!! I’ve been searching for Pale Barley all over but can’t find it 🙁 I even had my husband search for it all over Europe, it’s nowhere to be found! 🙁 I’m eyeing on Dark Sable, Trench and Porcelain. I’ll check Almond, as well. Thank you for the suggestions!!

• October 19, 2013 / 6:43 am

Yeah, they are supposed to repromote pale barley but i don’t think it is back yet. it has been out of stock in US since spring!

7. October 18, 2013 / 3:04 am

Waw the look you created is gorgeous!
    The palette looks beautiful too, too bad it’s so expensive..

x

• October 18, 2013 / 8:51 pm

Thank you Isabelle! 🙂

8. October 18, 2013 / 4:58 am

oh I don’t see this…. I don’t see this…. T.T
    you are such a great enabler,Shari!! i want Tom ford eye shadow now huhu! I’ve been wanting to try their lipstick as well, but I think I might go with the eye shadow first, a nightmare for my pocket lol
    btw, you look gorgeous with the eye make up!!! <3

• October 18, 2013 / 9:06 pm

Hihi Pam, I really don’t mean to, but GOOO BUY IT. LOL! I’ve tried a lipstick (Sable Smoke) and while I do think it’s just the right amount of creaminess and it’s non-drying, I’m not really WOWed by it. I’ve got my eye on their eyeshadow quads and limited ed trios!

9. GummyVision
    October 18, 2013 / 9:09 am

Yay!!! So happy you love this!!! This is probably one of the best quads I’ve ever had…the colors are stunning and look absolutely beautiful on you 🙂 Can’t wait to see what you think of the Burberry shadows…they are my favorite formula, along with Rouge Bunny Rouge – you need to put RBR on your list also!! 🙂

• October 18, 2013 / 9:09 pm

Gummy!! I believe your review is one of those enabling posts that made me finally go for it (not that it was so hard to convince me!). And yesss, I also have my eye on Rouge Bunny Rouge shadows – gosh, swatches of them are just so delectably NOMs I can’t resist. They’re next on my list!! Thanks for the reco! Any must-have shades?

• GummyVision
        October 21, 2013 / 3:17 am

Honestly…get them all!!! Ha ha 🙂 Seriously though, even the matte shades are buttery smooth and apply and blend amazingly. Day to day I tend to use more neutral shades just because they are easy, so the colors I use the most are Solstice Halcyon and Eclipse Eagle. Eclipse Eagle looks a little more purple is some swatches (including mine) but on my eye it’s pretty much how Belly described in her post : http://wondegondigo.blogspot.com/2013/02/rouge-bunny-rouge-long-lasting-eye.html

She’s got quite the collection and great swatches if you want help deciding 🙂 Abssynian Catbird is a very unusual color – really I don’t even know how to describe it…I didn’t know if I would like it but when I asked on makeup alley the same question you are asking, pretty much everyone said Ab Cat!! Anyway, I was so surprised at how gorgeous it is and how pretty it looks!!! The thing about RBR shadows that makes them so unusual and stunning to me, beside the texture and formua, is that so many of the colors are multi-dimensional and can change before your eyes. And when it comes to describing them…well it can prove to be difficult, but in a VERY very good way 🙂

• October 23, 2013 / 12:36 am

Oh my gosh. Belly’s post is doing my bank account disservice!!! I’ve always browsed through RBR shadows before but never hit the checkout button. For some reason, I can’t convince myself enough. My eyes are on Hummingird, Catbird, Eagle and Waxwing. So many stunning shades to choose from. Ugh, you and Belly are major enablers! LOL

• GummyVision
            November 5, 2013 / 6:08 am

Hey, I saw on twitter that you placed and RBR order but forgot to respond…what colors did you end up getting?? And what Burberry colors did you get??!!! Tell meeeeeee!! Ha ha 🙂

• November 8, 2013 / 1:30 am

Gummy!! I got Catbird, Oriole, Waxwing and Hummingbird!! Eagle was sold out sadly! I didnt get any mattes yet though. Belly’s post is such a tempting fortress my gaaaah!!

I only got Pale Barley and Mulberry. You’re sooo smart for getting 2 Pale Barleys! Nordstrom removed it already from the site, saw this when I thought about getting one more!! Rawrr. All this madness for an eyeshadow, lol.

10. Anna
    October 18, 2013 / 11:37 am

Eye makeup tutorial please? 🙂

• October 18, 2013 / 9:10 pm

Anna love, I would love to but I’m just a beginner and can’t really do tutorials! Hihi. I will refer you to Youtube gurus instead 🙂

11. Joanna
    October 18, 2013 / 12:50 pm

Any cheaper dupes? The colors are amazing! But I would feel really bad about shelling that much money for an eyeshadow quad…

• October 20, 2013 / 9:22 pm

Hi Joanna, I’ll try to find dupes and report back to you! 🙂 It is super exxy for a quad, I know 😐 🙁

12. ROXY
    October 18, 2013 / 7:54 pm

it is pricey but i guess its worth the price :)) loving the shades of it and it definitely looks good on you :))

–thestylescraper.blogspot.com

• October 20, 2013 / 9:22 pm

Thanks Roxy!

13. PopChampagne
    October 18, 2013 / 9:10 pm

this seems like it’s a really good product- the way it blends looks awesome!

• October 20, 2013 / 9:22 pm

A lazy blender’s dream!

14. October 19, 2013 / 1:14 am

Wow ang layo ng intensity ng Lorac. But at the same time, I think the already diffused pigmentation of the TF quad creates a more complicated texture 🙂

• October 20, 2013 / 9:25 pm

Yup, Lorac’s pigmentation is inteeense! But Tom Ford’s texture makes blending a breeze, with no fallout at all. Im not happy about the price, though 😐

15. Ty Phang
    October 19, 2013 / 1:39 pm

I wish it wasn’t so expensive! Eeeps! It’s so beautiful though.

• October 20, 2013 / 9:26 pm

We all wish it weren’t so exxy!

16. October 19, 2013 / 7:44 pm

wow! Super ganda niya! pati sa eyes mo <3 It's all worth it.

• October 20, 2013 / 9:26 pm

Thanks, Genzel!!

17. Replica
    October 20, 2013 / 2:47 am

I really like the eye look you have done, that palette is on my list to get, looks like a must have 🙂

• October 20, 2013 / 9:26 pm

Thank you Replica! I love your eyes look more, though!! 🙂 Always love reading your reviews because you make every palette must-haves (bad for my wallet though).

• Replica
        October 21, 2013 / 9:18 pm

Thank you, what a lovely thing to say, has made my day 🙂

18. Joy
    October 23, 2013 / 7:16 pm

Love love love…. i want!!! ;p

• November 8, 2013 / 1:16 am

Get it, Joy! It’s one of the better TF quads, imo!

19. Memoiselle
    October 27, 2013 / 8:02 pm

looovveee this palette! Everyone keeps raving about it and I give myself a time to decide whether I really want this one 😀

• November 8, 2013 / 1:19 am

I think this is a clear winner! I have the old ones and this one has really better texture and pigmentation than the others 🙂 Plus, this had beautiful shades! Did you get it, Meryl?

20. October 30, 2013 / 7:15 am

Love this palette! Saw the comparison between this one & Lorac Pro. The thing with Lorac Pro kase is hindi ka pwedeng magmadali. Dami ng fallouts if you’re not careful. I love the eyelook you made 🙂

• November 8, 2013 / 1:20 am

Super dami nga fallout sa Lorac. I still love it, though. And thanks Yette!!

21. Jenny
    November 5, 2013 / 3:35 am

Love your review. Absolutely, positively amazing. You look beyond words–beautiful. I love Tom Ford–and Orchid Haze is one of my favorite palettes–since it doesn’t contain a glitter shade. The quality of his palettes seems to be getting better and better with each release.

• November 8, 2013 / 1:27 am

Hi Jenny! Thanks so much for your sweet comment, I appreciate it dear 🙂 Made my day! Haha. And yes, I agree – I think this palette is a notch higher than his previous ones. Really glad I picked this up!

22. Jenny W
    February 22, 2014 / 8:51 am

I love this palette too, and love the look you’ve create here. Gorgeous