Brow Date with Wink Studio & Makeup Factory

Wink Brow Date

What do you get when you team up a top-notch laser and waxing studio with an equally top-quality makeup brand to talk about eyebrows? Throw in a few beauty-crazed bloggers in the mix and it’s a sure afternoon gathering of fun, hands-on experiential learning (with a bit of Hollywood and local gossip on the side) you won’t achieve from just watching Youtube videos. 1113 Wink Laser and Waxing Studio has partnered with Make Up Factory for this special eyebrow waxing and definition workshop I’m super thankful I was invited to attend. First, because even if I’m obsessed with doing my brows, I can never seem to get them to look as perfect as I’ve imagined them in my head. Second, I’ve never experienced eyebrow waxing and I’ve always been intrigued because rumor has it that hair grows better after as compared to when they are threaded. And third, some of my top favorite and daily Filipina beauty blog reads are all coming together for this special event. Finally meeting the beautiful faces behind the blogs I frequently pore over made me more excited than I already was. All thanks to the one and only Liz Lanuzo for making this all happen.

Curious to see what kind of eyebrow slash beauty blogger sorcery ensued? P.S. — lengthy and photo-filled post ahead!

1b

“Neat Freaks, At Your Service”

Let me just say first that hands down — Wink is the cleanest, most neat-obsessed waxing studio I have ever gone to. And I’m sure that it wasn’t just cleaned for this particular blogger event because I visited two days prior to get another waxing job done and it was as spick-and-span as ever. Paper sheet beddings are changed per client, absolutely no repeating or recycling of waxes and even no double dipping of spatulas! Each guest has their own set of waxing tools for every visit. When I tried Wink, I wonder how I managed to endure and tolerate my previous waxing place that had wax stains on their cotton beddings and *shivers* stray hairs on the wax heater, which apparently Liz has also encountered. I wonder if we went to the same place, or God forbid it’s a common scene in waxing studios around the Metro. Anyway, Wink Studio is actually more known for their laser hair removal than their equally superior waxing service. I have yet to try their painless laser hair removal though, but will definitely get back to you once I have. What I like also is their 0% installment plan which, if you’re interested to avail any laser hair removal package, definitely makes it more affordable. 2

Not All Goodbyes are Painful

Wink uses different kinds of waxes according to different hair types – blue green hard wax (pictured above, it’s the dark, almost black-looking one) for thick hair, but can also be used for the brows; pink hard wax for really thin and fine hair; light brown soft wax (the typical wax I know of) which is used with a strip of cloth for big areas like the legs. Holly Chang, the holy-smokes-beautiful owner, often gets the question if the waxes are flavored because of their pretty, delectable-looking colors but she tells us ahead of time that they’re not. Just in case anyone gets any ideas. Haha.
3I really wanted to spare you a close-up of my face but here’s a shot of my clean, well-groomed brows so you can see why I’m sincerely and honestly impressed with the service. My technician is very observant and notes that part of my face is actually quite thin as it turns red easily, so she makes sure to wax that area only once. After the wax, she applies a cream to soothe irritations and avoid any infections. I like how professional my technician performs the service, it shows that she really knows what she’s doing. I later learn that they were all trained by the Waxing Queen, Lori Nestore. Also, the suite door is always locked, with a key that the technician has to turn at the bottom of the door, so you never have to worry about anyone accidentally barging in while you’re being serviced (especially if it’s a brazilian!). Small detail but much appreciated.

Does it hurt? How does it compare to threading?

I’ d like to think that I’m pretty much immune to all kinds of waxing pain… except brazilian. That thing really hurts. A LOT. But I can say that eyebrow waxing definitely doesn’t hurt at all. Even as a first time eyebrow waxer, I expected a bit more pain than that! Compared to threading, eyebrow waxing (at least in Wink!) won’t even make you lose a precious teardrop. I usually have my brows threaded with a brow technician who knows how to shape my sparse, shapeless pair and transform them into something decent and wearable-without-any-brow-makeup-on. BUUUT I think my new routine will be to have them shaped once and then upon an inch of growing out, will run on to Wink and have them waxed ASAP, so I can retain its shape. Repeat after an inch of growing out again. I do believe I am now a waxing convert. 4b

Eyebrow Definition Workshop with Makeup Factory

After everyone emerged from the immaculate waxing suites, we were then prepared for the eyebrow definition session by Makeup Factory (but not before we were treated to delicious cupcakes, macaroons and lemonade!). Above, you can see Melody (Maquillage Professional makeup artist) schooling us on the more formal term for a spoolie, it was so French and sophisticated-sounding, I forgot. Bouf-something, I believe. Makeup Factory has awesome brow products I’m actually interested to purchase. The brow definition pen seems like a must-have. What Melody did was to start with a brow powder to fill in the eyebrow area (always use a lighter powder to avoid looking overdone easily), followed by a brow pencil to fill up the sparser areas, then the brow pen to further define, followed by the brow mascara to add tint (if hair is colored) or set (if using just the clear one) and finally a brow corrector/highlighter to erase any mistakes and make the eyebrow pop. Phew! The whole routine took about the same time as I do my whole makeup, haha. But, I’m unfazed. I’m already mustering the energy to practice this master technique of perfect brows in under 10 minutes. Challenge accepted! 5bOh nothing, just a few of my favorite Filipina beauty bloggers applying newly-learned skills on their brows. From left to right clockwise, we have —
Tina of What Tina Loves, Bea of The Dalaga Project, Ae of An Artechoke working on Tellie of Beauty by Tellie and Mariana of The Beauty Bee.
Just looking at their beautiful faces already makes this extra-lengthy post worth the read already, no? 6 7

On Makeup Factory

Did you know Makeup Factory was actually a legit makeup factory before they became a brand? They are based in Germany and manufacture cosmetics for other brands such as Artdeco, Anny, BeYu, MissLyn… among others. The price point is somewhere in between drugstore brands and luxury brands.8Liz working her eyebrow magic. And look at Mariana dipping into the Makeup Factory lineup of brow products (she has such a perfect face with equally flawless skin!). 9b

On Liz

And finally, another highlight of this event is meeting Philippines’ top beauty blogger Liz Lanuzo, the hostess with the mostest for the afternoon. Her beauty knowledge and wisdom is beyond her years and how she handles her day job juggling a number of brands here and there, makes me wonder if she still sleeps at all, having a successful blog behind all this. Also, despite being on top of her game, she has the most down-to-earth demeanor. Her legs are also TDF (my cover photo shows a sneak peek of her perfect pair)! Oh and she did my eyebrows, too! Picked up a few tricks on how to draw my brows, like where to start, what motion to use, etc. Plus she shared her favorite eyebrow product which I’m set on trying out soon. Thanks, Liz! 10Just some of the beautiful faces that graced this event — I love taking portraits, sorry (not sorry!). So nice to meet you all!!! And do check out everyone’s impeccably groomed brows! For only Php300, I say eyebrow waxing here at Wink is at least worth a try, you guys. And if you’re thinking that maybe such an immaculately luxurious-looking place must come with a hefty price tag, you are mistaken! Prices are actually way cheaper here than in another high-end waxing studio I’ve come across around the same vicinity. I’ll link you to their Service Menu so you can check out the prices of their waxing and laser services.
Thank you once again to Wink Studio PH and Makeup Factory for this wonderful afternoon well-spent!Wink Laser & Waxing Studio Facebook: Wink Studio Twitter: @winkstudioph Instagram: @winkstudioph

1. Gigi T
    October 30, 2013 / 7:23 am

nice post 🙂

NEW POST 🙂
    fantasyfashioned.blogspot.de
    xoxo ♥

2. October 30, 2013 / 7:34 am

That’s so awesome! 🙂 I think these brow bars are soo innovative!

• October 31, 2013 / 10:52 am

I do think they’re a godsend especially for someone who struggles with shaping their own brows a.k.a ME!

3. Raven
    October 30, 2013 / 8:57 am

I’ve never tried waxing. Just threading at Browhaus and that place is my HG place for a threading. No pain at all. And I have the world’s lowest pain tolerance. Really recommend that place.

• October 31, 2013 / 10:54 am

It was my first time too and what I’ve noticed is hair grows back longer 🙂 I think a good technique is having them shaped at Browhaus then for regrowth, have them waxed so your Browhaus shape will still be followed 😉 That way, it’ll take longer to grow back, tapos less expensive pa! 🙂 That’s what I’ll be doing now! hehe

4. October 30, 2013 / 9:46 am

Oh man, this looks like fun! I’ve tried waxing once, but I have so little brow hair and it grows so slow, so I have resolved to plucking off the stray ones. You’ve got really nice brows, Shari! I also like the shot of different waxes: looks like chocolate or something 😉

• November 2, 2013 / 4:27 pm

Brow waxing is a godsend for those with thick brows! You’re lucky your brows grow slowly that you only need plucking 🙂 And thanks but I have strange shapeless brows 🙁 I would love to have a full-on arch like the other girls in this entry!

5. Eileen
    October 30, 2013 / 11:52 am

Such an informative post & the photo edits/typography is super cute! This is why I love reading your blog! :3 I wish they’d open more branches of Wink in the near future so I could check them out, I’m intrigued by the different waxes lol. :))

• November 2, 2013 / 4:28 pm

Aww thanks for appreciating, Eileenybabe!! Your comments always make me smile! 🙂 I wish they’d open a North and South branch, too!

6. October 30, 2013 / 3:25 pm

The thing I really want to learn right now in regards with makeup is to be able to define my eyebrows really good! I suck at it :(( So inggit! You guys were given pa the workshop!! :)) The place looks really clean and organized as well. Aaah must definitely try that soon.

• November 2, 2013 / 4:29 pm

Sherica, same here, I practice almost everyday and yet, I still can not for the life of me perfect it! Thankful for this workshop, too! But from what I learned here, the entire process for picture-perfect brows would sadly take me a whole hour siguro to do by myself! HAHAHA

7. Keiti Dontcare
    October 30, 2013 / 4:54 pm

Ugh, I suck at making my brows! Most of the time I look like a deranged hobo, it’s just horrible 😀 I should try this waxing thing 😀

• November 2, 2013 / 4:31 pm

The first step to perfecting brows is having a clean, well-groomed pair! I really felt the difference – it cut my brow-drawing process in half! Of course, my drawing skillzzz (or lack thereof!) is somwhere in cant-be-salvaged territory. Haha.

8. Abby
    October 30, 2013 / 4:59 pm

Love this post! All my fave beauty bloggers in one event!

• November 2, 2013 / 4:32 pm

Am I part of your fave beauty bloggers ba? I was about to type thanks but thought twice kase baka di naman ako kasama don! HAHA!

9. Khaye
    October 30, 2013 / 6:15 pm

Wow I looove this post and thanks for sharing some brow pointers, Shari! I’m also obsessed about everything related to brows, hoarding every HG product there is! I’m so product happy that I wish I had more than a pair of brows to play with hehe. You have really nice arches, btw! And amazing locks, too! 🙂

• November 2, 2013 / 4:49 pm

No problem Khaye! And I’m there with you on eyebrow product hoarding! Constantly searching for the best products is my subconscious life mission, lol! And I agree, so many brow products, only one pair, sigh! Thank you dear!!

10. October 30, 2013 / 6:52 pm

I’d have to agree and for their vicinity (plus over-all ambiance and tools) I’d say their prices are right. 🙂 Would have to try this soon. Thanks Shari!

FMWL

• November 2, 2013 / 4:49 pm

If you do, I’d love to hear your thoughts Ceej! :*

11. Luchessa Grossmann
    October 30, 2013 / 9:39 pm

Loved this post – the lovely beauty blogger in action 🙂 Thanks for sharing
    xo,
    Luchessa.org

• November 2, 2013 / 4:49 pm

Thanks Luchessa! You have a great pair of brows, btw.

• Luchessa Grossmann
        November 2, 2013 / 7:05 pm

Aww that’s so sweet of you to say. 🙂

12. October 31, 2013 / 3:43 am

Why, Shari!!! Why does this have to be located in Taguig!! One of those rare times when I hate being from the North, lol. I always pluck my brows and have never tried threading or waxing. Might do soon. Thanks for this lovely post. 🙂

• November 2, 2013 / 4:52 pm

I wish they’d open a place up North, too (will be moving up there soon kase)! I do pluck too but since threading and waxing, I noticed super iba effect! The eyebrows are more pronounced kasi even the hairs on top (which I usually dont touch) are groomed. It really looks clean after! Will wait for your post on an eyebrow wax/thread experience!

13. October 31, 2013 / 9:53 am

Shari, you’re so blooming. I don’t know if I’ve already mentioned that. The last time I was here, you were still pregnant. I took a break w blogging and blog hopping. So, I’m kind of surprised to see you — looking really great and gorgeous. I mean that in a good way. Promise.

This brow party is amazeballs, btw. My little sister would kill for the perfect eyebrow. LOL!

• November 2, 2013 / 4:58 pm

Hi Chyrel!! Long time no chat, nga! My baby girls is 9 months old na! 🙂
      And wow naman, thanks for the super kind words dear. I appreciate it! Glad to know you’re back from your blogging break, welcome back!

14. November 1, 2013 / 1:31 pm

Hello Shariiiiiii! So nice to finally see you in person. You’re right, kulang ng chika moments. Maybe next time when we’re not all too busy rushing off to our respective men (guilty!) let’s have a little merienda 😛

• November 2, 2013 / 4:59 pm

Merienda sounds great!!! Can’t wait! Hope to see you again soon Tellzbellz!

15. marianabantug
    November 1, 2013 / 9:14 pm

Hihi, I look so entranced by the makeup!

Love this post! You really captured how fun it was. 🙂 Glad I got to meet you, Shari! I seriously could not stop staring at your hair, it’s perfect!

• November 2, 2013 / 5:00 pm

The hair took some time to do, however your perfect face is just… there! UNFAIR. Haha! Nice meeting you too, Mariana! Hope to see you again soon!!

16. November 2, 2013 / 5:05 am

I need a class like this! Looks great and super informative.

• November 2, 2013 / 5:00 pm

Thanks, Kate!

17. November 3, 2013 / 9:27 am

It’s so nice to finally meet you Shari! Super pretty mom! <3 Say Hi to Selene for me ^_^ When are you planning your next visit for the UA Laser? Would love to see you again ^_^

• November 7, 2013 / 3:37 am

Nyaaww thanks Genzel. hihi! Super nice meeting you too, gurrrl. Meant to meet talaga tayo! Im not sure pa when I’m scheduling my UA laser eh. Thanks for reminding me! Baka next week! Ikaw ba?

• November 9, 2013 / 3:07 am

Welcome ^_^ Ahh baka December pa para i-redeem ko narin yung vouchers ^_^ Will wait for your blogpost about the UA Laser ^_^

18. thinacruz
    November 4, 2013 / 7:56 pm

Super nice meeting and having a cup of coffee with you, Shari! 🙂 <3

• November 7, 2013 / 3:38 am

Tinabaybeh, suuuper glad we got to bond a little before and after the event! Soon again if youre not too busy being superwoman. 😉

19. Ae
    November 6, 2013 / 10:26 pm

Hey Shari, what a great post! 🙂 It was nice to meet you and sit down with you (for a wee bit!) for coffee..hopefully we’ll do a proper one next time!

• November 7, 2013 / 3:40 am

So beautiful Ae, that’s all I can say. Super ganda mo in your photos, even more in person! Hope we can do that coffee date soon 🙂