Rainy Mani Monday with Chanel Dragon

1 2

Dragon Lady

While I usually shy away from reds on the lips, I am quite the opposite on my nails. In fact, I used to only wear reds or french nails or none at all. That was the extent of my venturesome ways in the world of nail polish before. Until recently when I’ve arms-wide-openly hugged more adventurous colors. I still always go back to my reds, though — especially after wearing metallics such as Peridot and Alchimie, bright creams like Rose Exuberant and Fracas and dark vamps like Rouge Noir and Black Satin. It’s easy to wear and pair with anything as well as making one look more polished despite only having 4-5 hours of sleep the night before. Instant confidence booster. 3

THE SHADE

Chanel Dragon is part of the true red family. I think it runs a tiny speck orange of a true red but a true red nonetheless. I’ll say this again, I’m not such a pro at differentiating reds but in my color-blind mind, this is how I differentiate them: pinky-redsblue-toned reds, orange-reds, vampy reds. Comparing Dragon to another classic red by Chanel which is Pirate, the latter is more of a blue-toned red. Dragon is easier to wear because it’s not as dramatic as most blue-based reds register. An everyday red, I call this one. 5

The Formula

Dragon is a beautiful rich creme that goes on opaque in 1 coat — 1 coat!! Thick consistency, no streakiness and paired with my beloved Seche Vite, wears for 5 days straight without chipping. I really can’t find anything to fault the formula because I was able to put this polish on in less than 10 minutes with top coat and only needing very minimal clean up. For someone with shaky hands and a subpar hand-eye coordination — that is a feat!

VERDICT

Granted, this is not at all a unique color. Other nail polish brands certainly have this shade in their collection so why spend $27 on a bottle, right? I’d have to say it all boils down to formula. If you can make other brands’ formulas work for your nails (longevity, consistency, etc.), then there’s definitely no need to pick this up. However, what I admire about Chanel polishes is how they don’t turn gloopy even after 10+ uses. There’s no need of ever having to throw an unfinished bottle out because of change in consistency. Of course, you’d have to store them properly — dry, cool, dark area is ideal.
Mind sharing your go-to red nail polish?

1. September 24, 2013 / 3:54 am

Oh I think we can’t get enough of red nail polishes! 😀
    I have only 1 chanel nail polish but I must say I’m not a fan. Of course it has good quality but not that good to be €23 imho..
    But it is chanel anyway.. :p

2. September 24, 2013 / 4:02 am

Have always wondered why my mom stores hair nail polishes inside the fridge. Now I know why.

3. September 24, 2013 / 5:27 am

Lovely color! Also wearing red now! <3

4. September 24, 2013 / 6:27 am

I love Chanel colours but find that they chip quite quickly. I never thought about how long they last though and it’s true, they last forever! I have one from 2008 that’s still going strong. Emma.x

5. September 24, 2013 / 8:59 am

This looks amazing! Too bad my partner would get so mad at me if I spend that much on a nail polish. Looks really good on you, though 🙂

6. September 24, 2013 / 9:57 am

It looks so great! I recently just purchased my first Chanel polish and I’m hooked! But my go to red polish will always be OPI’s classic red, Malaga Wine. 🙂

7. September 24, 2013 / 1:27 pm

Reds are classic. I always go back to reds too.

8. September 24, 2013 / 11:23 pm

Love!!! Great photos

9. September 25, 2013 / 12:53 am

The color looks stunning on you! I’ve always been hesitant about their nail polish only because of the price point but i may splurge and pick one up in a color that I’ll love 🙂

thanks!

10. September 25, 2013 / 1:04 am

A beautiful red for a gloomy Monday. Hayhayhay. Love NARS forever and ever <3

11. September 25, 2013 / 2:44 am

it looks great on your nails <3
    kisses

12. September 26, 2013 / 5:26 am

Oh really cute nail polish color.
    xx

13. September 26, 2013 / 5:31 pm

this is such a gorgeous classic red shade that will suit most skintones <3 I want to try chanel pero its quite pricey for polish and I'm not such a polish person kasi

14. September 27, 2013 / 11:10 am

I love Dragon on you!! Such beautiful color. I don’t wear reds on nails, but if I do, Dragon or Coromandel are my choice. I honestly think OPI’s formula is better than Chanel’s but what Chanel has that no other brand do is the sophistication of color & shimmer balance. It is just the right proportion and just the right shade. That’s what I’m paying from Chanel, they set the trend although you can find so many dupes.

15. September 29, 2013 / 10:32 pm

it reminds me of nars dragon girl lip pencil ^^

16. September 30, 2013 / 12:17 am

Ohh! good thing I store my nail polishes inside my cabinet. it’s dark, dry , and cool in there ^_^ Love the color on your nails.

17. October 11, 2013 / 10:05 pm

My favorite Chanel red is Malice. Your swatches are getting better! 🙂

18. Mari
    October 19, 2013 / 5:24 pm

Thanks for posting Shari! I believe this shade was my 1st ever red Chanel. But i kindof forgot about it since a lot of other reds came out…now i’m inspired to buy one for the sake of lookin’ back and being thankful 🙂 +for all the other beauty buys that came after+ haha! Guess this would be my go-to, or Pirate. But my ultimate fave red is deep, dark Vamp/ Rouge Noir. <3
    Dragon really looks good on you, and your nails are a nice shape too 🙂 Pretty!!!