NARS Fairy’s Kiss Palette

To be kissed by a fairy?

A few posts back, I reviewed the NARS Voulez Vous palette which I banked all my NARS high hopes on yet felt disenchanted with. I didn’t think for one second I’d feel like this about it because hey, I’m not that hard to please with makeup. But anyway, I did not give up. On the contrary, I felt more compelled to storm on down to NARS and see if I just maybe got a dud or a defected item. Well whaddayaknow? I left the counter with yet another eyeshadow palette. Woops. Totally not planned. I came in for only swatches and comparison, but I go home with a tiny undeserved loot. Self-control, where art thou. Please come out anytime now. 9 I picked up the NARS Fairy’s Kiss palette, part of NARS‘ Fall 2013 gifting collection together with another palette which I almost paid for yet changed at the last moment, Ride Up to the Moon. Compared to the Voulez Vous palette, this one is packed with eyeshadows sans the famous NARS blushes. Photo above shows how smaller this palette is compared to Voulez Vous. I didn’t expect it to be so tiny! The colors in this palette are right up my alley. I initially wanted to go with Ride Up The Moon because I am always attracted to neutral shades. The eyeshadow Gods must have interfered because at the last minute, I changed my mind and asked to swap it with this one instead. 34 Tokyo is a pale frosty lavender that I love using as an all-over base for the lid as well as for highlighting. Pigmentation is quite sheer but buildable. Manosque is a pale dusky pink with slight shimmer. It looks more beige on me than pink, though. Pigmentation is medium, not as sheer as Tokyo. A tiny bit powdery but super soft and blendable. Kalahari is frosty cocoa brown with slight gold undertones. This and Brousse are the more shimmery ones. I did not experience any fallout with this and that’s without any sort of primer. Brumes is a matte slate gray with purple undertones. This and Pandora are the mattes of the bunch and I’m not so impressed with them. It lacks pigmentation but is buildable and easily blendable. In general, NARS mattes have room for improvement in terms of pigmentation.5 Brousse is a dark purple – black with fuschia shimmer. My favorite in the set! It’s such a gorgeous yummy shade. I’m partial to violets, purples and especially dark shades in general so this one is easily love, love, love. Pandora is a flat matte black. Again, not a fan of NARS mattes’ pigmentation (or lack thereof). It’s also quite patchy. 6 These are all swatched without primer. I refer you to Rad’s post on this palette for better swatches. I assure you that the first four are really more pigmented than my swatch above. The last two mattes, though, are quite true to swatch. HOWEVER, I find that using an eye primer really makes these colors pop. They become even more beautiful than I’d imagined them to be. I’ll put it in my to-do list to swatch these again with primer and share them with you soon (as well as the Voulez Vous shadows).

LOOKS

Tokyo, Manosque and Brumes1b

Tokyo, Kalahari and Brousse

OVERALL

I am approving this palette! I thought I would be disappointed yet again but I’m happy to report that these perform better than the Voulez Vous shadows (except Lhasa because I really love that one) even without primer. They are easily blendable, more pigmented and have little-to-no fallout. I swatched singles and duos on the NARS counter and I would say that there are some inconsistencies with the NARS shadow formulas. Some are really beautifully creamy and pigmented while some are gritty and lack pigmentation. I call it a shade-to-shade basis, as with the Guerlain palettes I fell in love with which started this eyeshadow revolution I’m currently (happily) fighting.
DETAILS Price: Php2250 ($45) Available in Rustan’s
What do you think? YAY or NAY?

1. September 8, 2013 / 1:58 am

These shades are beautiful! Like absolutely gorgeous.
    Sarah

September 9, 2013 / 3:47 pm

I think so too Sarah! 🙂

2. September 8, 2013 / 3:51 am

You created gorgeous looks with the palette. Your comment about buying another palette when you was planning on just looking, made me laugh, that’s typical me lol, xoxo.

September 9, 2013 / 3:48 pm

Typical beauty junkies! 🙂 LOL thanks Inez!

3. September 8, 2013 / 4:27 am

wow I love all colours.. they are gorgeous

4. September 8, 2013 / 5:37 am

Wow! That’s a pretty palette. Gaaaah, I need at least one NARS palette in my life 🙁

September 9, 2013 / 3:58 pm

Modern Love, a palette before, would have been a great first buy! 🙂

5. September 8, 2013 / 8:30 am

Wow those colors are all freaking beautiful!!!

September 9, 2013 / 8:18 pm

The shades do go well together, don’t they? 🙂

6. Gecca
    September 8, 2013 / 1:22 pm

Wow that are some pretty colors! gaaahhhhh i need it!

September 9, 2013 / 8:19 pm

Swatch them at the nearest NARS counter and see their beauty up close. My swatches do not do justice:-)

September 9, 2013 / 8:20 pm

Hi Cielo! While I would love to show you a tutorial, I believe I can’t do this just yet because I’m no pro in eyeshadow (or makeup!) application. Just learning by myself watching how Youtube pros do it, too. Watch Pixiwoo’s hooded eyelid tutorials for Asian eyes like ours!

7. September 8, 2013 / 3:51 pm

Wow this looks amazing! I have the MAC smokeys eyes palette from 2008 or something and I love the colours but it is so gross now! This would replace it perfectly! 🙂

Kerry X

September 9, 2013 / 8:22 pm

I have Chanel quads that are from the same year and still look usable (but toss out because I’m afraid of bacteria!)! 🙂

8. September 8, 2013 / 6:20 pm

Ahhh it’s so dreamy! I need to get one right away <3

September 9, 2013 / 8:23 pm

Try this and Ride Up The Moon 🙂 I highly recommend!

September 9, 2013 / 8:24 pm

Come to think of it, yes – para siyang Naked Basics pero purple-toned shades.

9. September 9, 2013 / 6:47 am

This reminds me of the Chanel Raffinement quad! <3
    nice buy Shari!…i have staple NARS blushes but now i'm curious to try their shadows. Gaaahhh.. I can understand why you weren't able to resist it..

September 9, 2013 / 8:26 pm

Thanks, Mari! I’m iffy spending on Chanel quads that are sold here kasi baked versions (less pigmented!!) and only contain .04 oz (when the US versions are .24oz!) and are sold for the same price! I hate why Chanel refuses to uniformly manufacture their products na lang. Sorry for the rant, hehe.

• September 10, 2013 / 6:54 am

mmm.. i find the baked still highly pigmented…reason why mine never seem to get used up. US versions though have more fallout. Ya prices in the malls are ridiculous. I really can’t wait to swatch this palette and hopefully discover items new to me! 🙂 Are the Brumes and Pandora shades matte?
        (Shari how do i change the alien photo assigned to my name here)

September 10, 2013 / 1:25 pm

Yes love, Pandora and Brumes are mattes! Buti pa yours pigmented, mine I use water pa so they show up. I have the Harmonie du Soir though which is pigmented by itself! Yung Spices quad ko, hindi talaga! I love the singles, though. I have Sillage, Trace and Complice – aahhh love!

Mari, sign up ka sa gravatar.com using the email you use here and you can upload a photo 🙂

10. September 9, 2013 / 8:34 am

thank you for the review. I have been looking for a good neutral pallet. I guess this one might not be the one.

September 9, 2013 / 8:27 pm

Try Bobbi Brown’s new palette! 🙂

11. September 9, 2013 / 4:18 pm

Yay for you, Shari! 🙂 Too bad the matte shadows are not as pigmented and are more patchy. Unlikely I’ll be getting this palette.

September 9, 2013 / 8:27 pm

Yes, the mattes are disappointing! 🙁 But I love the 4 other shadows 🙂

12. February 9, 2014 / 1:24 am

Hi Shari, I am a bit late to find this review but had to comment because your review is very helpful for me to decide on this palette.
    I think I have Kalahari in another palette but other shades are right up my alley!
    Thanks for the beautiful swatches and look. 😉