My Most Expensive Lipstick Yet: Guerlain L’Extrait Orgueil

cover1

Whoa that’s dark!

…were the three words that came out of Enzo’s mouth when he spotted me with this lipstick on. I like how he’s observant with the colors I wear — a subtle reminder that he still pays attention, hihi. He almost never comments on my makeup, so getting unsolicited opinions from him (good and bad!) makes my day. I do think that this is the darkest I’ve gone so far though. I usually stick to my pinks and nudes, saving the good ol’ reds for special occasions. Not that I have a variety of reds anyway, I only own two other shades of crimson before this purchase. 23 Speaking of purchase, this one was mostly enabled by Eyeshadow Queen Carina. She suggested this when I asked for non-MAC deep red recommendations on one of my lipstick week entries. It looked so good on her, I almost didn’t need convincing… if not for the mighty high price tag that comes with this tube of lip goodness — Php2500 ($50). Kill. Me. Now. I bit the bullet and decided to get it anyway because it’s exactly the sort of red that calls shouts my name and lingers inside my head, haunting my sub(and un!)conscious for a long, long time till I finally cave.

COLOR & PIGMENTATION

Orgeuil is simply described as plum. I won’t pretend to know the different nuances of red because as I’ve previously mentioned in my Lipstick Week post on reds, they’re either just bright red or dark red to me. This one, though, I can categorize as a deep dark red with a hint of that plum/berry that Guerlain describes it as. Pigmentation is off the roof. Super opaque in one pass so you only need a small amount to cover the whole lips. 4 guerlain orgeuil

TEXTURE & LONGEVITY

Guerlain L’Extrait is very creamy in consistency and goes on smooth and velvety on the lips. It takes quite some time to dry, though — like 15-20 minutes or maybe more. Once it sets, the finish is a soft matte that feels almost weightless. It’s also (shockingly!) non-drying. For my super dry borderline-hopeless lips, this is a miracle. Compared to my other reds — MAC Viva Glam I & MAC Ronnie Red — this is definitely the deepest, darkest red among the three. Viva Glam is more brown-based and Ronnie Red is more pinky-red (did I get that right? Don’t quote me on that!).

Packaging

Even if I don’t see the worth of this lipstick, at least I can feel the weight of it. God, this bullet is a hefty 96 grams. Compare that to a MAC lipstick that usually weighs around 18-20 grams… you do the math. The twist-and-pull function also stumped me there for a while. I seriously spent a good 15-20 minutes trying to close the product properly. I’m not complaining, though. I love feeling the worth of my purchase, especially almost-irrational buys like this. I also appreciate the mirror that comes with the packaging (see photo above!), perfect for touch-ups (even if the weight isn’t anywhere screaming “I’m so handy, you can carry me around!”). guerlain l'extrait orgeuilguerlain l'extrait orgeuil

DOWNSIDES

For a super expensive, Tom Ford-level lipstick, I expected this product to be per-fuckin-fect. But sadly, I’d have to call its major transfer issues an almost deal breaker. I wore it various days and every single time, the transfer was too crazy that at two hours, I was left with uneven stains on my lips. I’ve read about the transfer issues, but they are nowhere near minor. The application is also a bit cumbersome because unfortunately, being too creamy and having a doe-foot for an applicator spells lipstick mess for someone like me (can’t color between the lines, got a D in grade school Art, has two left hands). This problem though, at least, can be remedied. Also, I don’t like how it desaturates once it has dried. I love the rich opaqueness of it when freshly applied but once it sets, it tones down its shade.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I still really love the color, though — definitely my perfect shade of deep dark berry red. I’ll definitely keep on wearing this but only on occasions I know I won’t be eating or drinking a lot. However, if Orgueil wasn’t the color I chose and the issues I mentioned above remained, this would have been a major bad buy. Especially since I paid a (crazily high!!) premium on this tube of lipstick, I expected more. I am a fan of its lightweight, non-drying, highly-pigmented and opaque formula but feel that it can work on its slight feathering, desaturating and major transfer issues.

1. shayne
    September 15, 2013 / 4:06 am

the new layout is really really nice shari 🙂 🙂 i like it more than your previous blog design 🙂 did you design it? i remember you telling me before that you fixed the code of your blog design – if i am not mistaken .

• September 15, 2013 / 5:25 pm

Thank you Shanye!! 🙂 Appreciate the feedback.
      Yep, I designed and coded it myself. 🙂 Pawis at dugo ang tumulo para matapos to, hihi.

2. September 15, 2013 / 5:10 am

I’m loving the new layout,Shari!
    oh the color is sooooo pretty! too bad the formula is not the best. it sucks when we paid so much money for a lipstick but it is not that great T.T
    but at least, the packaging and the color are gorgeous!

• September 15, 2013 / 5:35 pm

Thank you Pam!! 🙂 Appreciate the feedback!
      I agree, I’m sad that the formula didn’t sit well with my lips 🙁 Still love the color, packaging and lightweight feel though!!

3. September 15, 2013 / 5:52 am

Oh this is GORGEOUS on you. Makes you look soooo glam! I need to get this one too….it’s so flattering on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• September 15, 2013 / 5:31 pm

Thanks Jen! 🙂 This would definitely look great on your skintone, too.

4. September 15, 2013 / 8:07 am

you’re right, its expensive!! haha. looks good on you though especially with your complexion. charged to experience nalang 🙂

• September 15, 2013 / 5:34 pm

I really wanted to love it and it hasn’t disappointed many bloggers here and abroad. But the formula doesn’t sit well with my lips so nakaka-sad!! 🙁 Mahalz pa naman. Oh well, experience indeed.

5. Stephanie
    September 15, 2013 / 8:09 pm

I think it suits you well!! Nice pick, Shari. Expensive though!!

6. September 15, 2013 / 8:13 pm

I’ve been looking for a shade like this for the longest time. MAC Rebel just wouldn’t cut it for me. This looks like a great shade of berry red.

• September 15, 2013 / 8:29 pm

It is!! I recommend the color 🙂 But the formula, I’m iffy about. 🙁 Didnt sit well with me. It’s different for everyone, though.

7. September 15, 2013 / 9:37 pm

Love the new layout 🙂

• September 16, 2013 / 3:25 am

Thanks, Pau!

8. September 16, 2013 / 12:47 am

Hey Shari, I’m a big fan of the new layout! Very clean and modern!

I’m so sorry to hear this didn’t work for you! I have tried some liquid lipsticks, and the Guerlain version is the only one that works for me because it fades evenly instead of breaking down (like Hourglass) or migrating like mad (like GA). Maybe it’s the shade? It is gorgeous on you though!

• September 18, 2013 / 12:57 am

Thank you Sunny! I appreciate the feedback on the layout!

Sadly, yes. I really wanted to love this (I already did without even wearing it yet!) but the transfer issues – sigh. I shall try another shade though and hopefully it’s only this color that has issues with my lips.

9. September 16, 2013 / 1:13 am

The new layout is super cute and I LOVE the new logo! I’m sorry this one wasn’t perfection, because I’m with you – for that kind of $, it should be! The color is beautiful on you, though! 🙂

• September 18, 2013 / 12:58 am

Thanks Kristen! I appreciate feedback on the layout 🙂
      And yes, I wish it was perfection too because I loooove the color.

10. September 16, 2013 / 1:54 am

I like the new layout but I’m not sure if we are talking about the same thing because I’ve been seeing a few changes pop up here and there. As of now, I like it 😀

As for Orgueil… It’s looks so lovely on you. Can we just put you into a huge ball gown and “sophisticize” the world to death? I can’t even think of the transfer issues! It’s way too pretty 😛

• September 18, 2013 / 1:00 am

Thanks Tellie!! I’m still tinkering with it but it’s pretty final now. Hihi.

Aww shyucks, youre too kind!! But yes, the shade makes me forget the transfer issues — until I wear it again and encounter the problem! 🙁 Huhu. I love the color though!!

11. September 16, 2013 / 4:29 am

I love your new blog theme ^_^ The lipstick is expensive but the shade was nice ^_^

• September 18, 2013 / 1:01 am

Thanks Glenn! 🙂

12. anne0822
    September 16, 2013 / 5:06 am

New reader here and I’m already loving your blog. Reviews are honest and like a breathe of fresh air, free from any advertisements. I love beauty blogs but sometimes when reviewing a product, I’m not sure if it’s really good or they’re just claiming it to be good since it’s a sponsored post. But here, I’m sure that the reviews are honest since it’s not a “paid” post.
    Plus, most products are high-end and to me, it feels like reading Vogue Magazine, I know I’ll never buy these products but it still feels good reading them. Again, a breathe of fresh air from reading local brands. 😀

• September 18, 2013 / 1:03 am

Wow, thank you thank you thank you loads for this comment, Anne! Made my day, hihi.
      I appreciate your sweet inspiring words. I emailed you personally. Hope you read it!

13. September 16, 2013 / 5:25 am

Too bad the lipstick doesn’t really match up to your expectations.. But I will tell you that I absolutely love your new layout! Very pretty! 🙂

• September 18, 2013 / 1:05 am

I’m not very hard to please with lipstick. But when a $50 lipstick transfers crazily to everything, expect my wrath. LOL
      And thank you on the feedback re: my layout, Isabelle.

14. September 16, 2013 / 11:13 am

That lipstick looks awesome Ms. Shari! I love the packaging, as well as the color payoff! Followed via bloglovin. ^^

• September 18, 2013 / 1:06 am

Thanks Rhia! 🙂

15. September 16, 2013 / 2:43 pm

Looks like MAC’s LE Shade Deeply Adored! It’s from the Marilyn collection! Wonder how close of a “dupe” it is! Lovely shade on you! Sayang the formula’s a bit tricky!:s

• September 18, 2013 / 1:06 am

Oooh! I’ll check that nga. Is it MATTE? Thanks for the heads up, Ina!

16. September 16, 2013 / 3:15 pm

your layout is calm 🙂 it works for me because i feel relaxed 🙂

Check out my September Blog Giveaway 🙂

• September 18, 2013 / 1:07 am

Thanks Erica!

17. September 17, 2013 / 3:36 am

wondering if your husband generally like or dislike dark or strong-colored lips. mine doesn’t

• September 18, 2013 / 1:09 am

He doesn’t dislike dark or strong-colored lips naman, just surprised when I wear reds cos I usually don’t. He doesn’t like bright-colored fuchsias though like Chanel Exaltee.

• September 27, 2013 / 3:00 am

Hahaha, pano pa kaya if you get something like nars pure matte carthage. he’ll flip.

Hey, was wondering how you moved from blogger to wordpress, and how you were able to move your custom domain too.

18. September 17, 2013 / 7:37 am

Strangely, I love love LOVE L’extrait’s formula and had litle transfer issues myself. But only because I’ve tried virtually every liquid lipstick formula and L’extrait blew them all out of the water.

If you still want a color like this but with better application, try Guerlain’s Rouge G, which is their gold-standard formula (with a gold-standard price tag LOL). Gigolo is the shade most similar to Orguiel.

• September 18, 2013 / 1:13 am

I’ve tried Chanel Rouge Allure Laque, Stila All Day, Lime Crime and even NYX’s – they don’t transfer like Guerlain does on me. I dont know why but probably something in the formula that doesn’t sit well with my lips. 🙁 Thanks for this, though Gia. I’ll give the Gigolo lipstick a swatch soon!!

19. September 18, 2013 / 10:35 am

Femme Fatale! I love the shade on you. 🙂

Anyhoo, your new layout is so clean and pretty.

• November 2, 2013 / 4:04 pm

Thanks, Lizzieee! Missing your posts, impatiently awaiting for a new one!

20. September 21, 2013 / 11:52 pm

The redness is drool worthy!

• November 2, 2013 / 4:04 pm