Chanel Seduction Les 4 Ombres Palette

2 0

Been seduced by Chanel yet again

I’ve been quite disappointed with my past Chanel eyeshadow palettes that I didn’t even feel like reviewing them. Seriously, these Euro/Asian baked editions le suck (compared to their US versions). Powdery, super sheer and quite difficult to work with — anything along this price range shouldn’t need a lot of work. However, I was caught off guard when I swatched this palette in the counter because it was unlike most Chanel quads. Okay fine, the rose colors were calling out my name especially that beautiful deep brown (my undying love for browns is revolting, I know)… but swatching it changed my overall sentiment on Chanel eyeshadows. 5 6

Texture & Pigmentation

Happy to share that the shades in this palette are really soft and finely-milled, making it a bit powdery but once applied on the skin, blends beautifully. There is a bit of fallout from the loosening of the powder but nothing major when it comes in contact with the lids. I usually have such a hard time getting the colors to show on my lids with the other Chanel quads, but the shades here go on almost opaque with a dense eyeshadow brush.

Wear Time / Longevity

On my photos below, I didn’t wear any primer (I always want to show how pigmented shadows are naturally so I usually skip primer but when I wear it out, I use Urban Decay Primer Potion) but it lasted the whole day on me, I’d say around 7 hours, without fading or creasing. Impressive. With my other Chanel quads, I usually see a fading by the 5th hour or so. 34

Shades & Finishes

The colors appealed so much to me that I didn’t think for a second it could give me a ‘pink eye‘ look. Thankfully, it didn’t. A quick rundown on the shades in order of left to right from the arm swatch above: + Slightly pink-tinged champagne with a pearly sheen – makes a great base & highlight color. + Deep chocolate brown with subtle bronzey copper shimmer that almost looks matte – I love browns so I’m biased towards this. Really makes for a good defining shade. + Soft peach with a hint of copper again with subtle shimmer – I didn’t really use much of this in the look below but it will make for a good base, too. + Mid-tone burgundy with a soft, frosty finish – I’m usually scared to wear shades like this but I found it to be wearable. Among the four, I found this to be the sheerest which I’m thankful for, TBH. A strong red-burgundy eye isn’t my thing anyway. When dampened, this shade transforms to a bolder burgundy if you’re going for that more intense look. I usually wear my past Chanel quads wet which helps in their lack of pigmentation. With these, I didn’t need to even dampen them. They’ve good color pay-off even when they’re dry. I do recommend applying them wet when you’re going for a bolder, stronger, more intense look, though. They really pop out and look even more amazing. 7b8 Forgive my hastily applied eye makeup. I really wanted to include a look with this post even if I had no time to take FOTD photos the past weeks. Not wearing any base makeup up there so I definitely look undone, but at least you get to see the palette in action.

Overall

If you’re like me who’s quite disappointed with Chanel palettes in general (because there are some that are great like Harmonie du Soir), I urge you to give this a swatch. It’s definitely an improved formula of the baked quads which, to be honest, aren’t worth their hefty price tags. Chanel Seduction palette changed my perception on this. It’s not a groundbreaking formula that trumps other brands but it’s definitely a change that won’t make me neglect Chanel’s eyeshadow offerings in the future. The colors aren’t exactly unique, but I appreciate how wearable, easily workable and highly compatible these shades are.

1. September 28, 2013 / 4:40 am

oooh Shari, you know what, I am actually going to visit chanel counter tomorrow only to see Seduction directly. I have been seeing swatches and reading reviews about it and I think I really like the color. But I’m not sure if I really need it since the shades are all quite dupable.. it reminds me a lot of burberry plum pink palette which I have already owned.
    your swatches look a bit different from the others though, I expected the rose-burgundy one to appear a bit more darker and ‘intense’.. Ohh now I’m really confused whether I should get it or not.. #1stworldproblem. lol

• September 28, 2013 / 4:54 am

Pam! Maybe you saw the US versions which are more pigmented than our Euro/Asian baked versions? I found the rose-burgundy shade to be pretty sheer, the swatches above are all just swiped once.

I see what you mean, Burberry Plum Pink and this are very similar!! I don’t think you need to own both 🙂 Unless you like the rose-burgundy shade a lot!! But then, you can just grab Burberry Mulberry instead! LOL at these #1stworldproblems! I feel ya 🙂

2. Samantha M
    September 28, 2013 / 5:21 am

I definitely know what you mean about the brown shades haha. The color combination is stunning and it looks beautiful on you! On a completely unrelated note, i really like that sparkle cloth (?) shown in the pictures. Where is that from? xx

• September 28, 2013 / 8:00 pm

Thanks Sam! It’s actually excess fabric from a gown I had altered. It’s made up of tulle 🙂

3. September 28, 2013 / 8:36 am

That quad looks amazing Ms. Shari! You look gorgeous and I love the swatches! ^^

• September 28, 2013 / 8:00 pm

Thank you for your sweet comments all the time, Rhia!

4. September 28, 2013 / 11:03 am

These shadows look so gorgeous and wearable! 🙂

• September 28, 2013 / 8:06 pm

Not so safe to be called neutrals but still wearable for day or night depending on application 🙂

5. September 28, 2013 / 3:18 pm

I totally love the colors in this palette <3 I think this is perfect for everyday wear, day – night. Wishing I can buy a channel product for myself this Christmas 😀 You're looking great as always btw. Have a great weekend, Shari!

• September 28, 2013 / 8:07 pm

Thank you, Genzel! Do gift yourself a Chanel if you can, long-lasting naman yung products nila so worth it (I have shadows that are almost 2 years in the running na and are still in good condition!!).

6. September 28, 2013 / 4:47 pm

What! Now I need this!!!! I need a palette with a nice Burgundy color and this looks sooo pretty. I’m going shopping this afternoon and will swatch it for myself too! Thanks for the heads up.. I usually stay away from the quads since I know the US versions are much better. I hate it when I buy inferior product 😉

• September 28, 2013 / 8:08 pm

Isabelle!! I would love to see this on you if you do go for this. I hate inferior items too (especially when you’re paying the same price as the superior items!).

7. September 30, 2013 / 1:08 am

The champagne shade is my faaaavorite. And I think you’re really brave in buying another Chanel quad. Lucky for you, this one turned out really well 😛

I see so much Chanel here and I need a biased opinion to affirm my biased thoughts. Chanel foundations are the best, right!? (please say yes!)

• September 30, 2013 / 1:14 am

I’ve only tried Lift Lumiere for liquid and Mat Lumiere for powder – and I can say I like the powder more than the liquid. But I cant quite say yet it’s the best! Woops sorry Tellie!

The much-raved Vitalumiere Aqua is I think too sheer for my liking and doesnt justify the price tag (3k+ yoikes!).

I havent tried Perfection Lumiere yet, though. Maybe that’s something I should look into next, but I dont use foundation on a daily basis so it may take a while!

I do like EL Double Wear foundation though for a heavy-duty look. Like the whole day without budging and oiling up! Its really matte though so mej flat. When you touch your face, no dewiness whatsoever (which I dont like on a daily basis but great for when I need a whole-day worker.

8. September 30, 2013 / 3:07 pm

This Chanel palette is beautiful!! I have tried both the US & Europe/Asian version of Chanel palettes & the quality difference is huge. Plus the Europe/Asian version contains less product as well!!! Because of that, I haven’t looked into Chanel palettes lately but this palette has definitely caught my attention. Thanks for sharing~~

Liz