Skincare Sundays: Lancome Haul + Disappointment!

lancome

Skin is In

A few months back, I mentioned how I hopped aboard the skincare train which took quite a few detours till I reached my stop. I didn’t really choose Lancome to be my go-to skincare brand, it just so happens both my mom and mother-in-law favor the brand and that they have a very enticing loyalty program (which I’m quite disappointed at to be honest, check the jump for details why). 1

Their loyalty card program caught my husband’s loyalty-perk-attraction (mention anything loyalty card and he has it! Rustan’s Frequent Shoppers, SM Advantage, Mercury Drugstore, National Bookstore, Healthy Options, you name it). So while I was still deep in research on what certain items to purchase to jumpstart my ‘serious‘ skincare routine, Enzo has already set his mind into getting me that loyalty card.

So now I’ll quickly gloss over the items and share my major impressions —2 3

Skincare

Visionnaire

This is one of the more hyped-up products of Lancome said to have had a massive queue when it first launched as well as being a favorite of Kate Middleton (which she might have received in a sample and tried but loved and favorited? Hmm). It is basically a serum that bears big claims from evening out the skintone to minimizing pores and wrinkles to smoothening skin texture. Major impression: It does smoothen out my skin, calms my redness and gives a particular glow making me able to skip foundation on good skin days. However, given the amount of silicones on this product, I’m unsure whether it has long-term effects on the skin. The short term effect is great, but nothing that a really good primer couldn’t do. I find Guerlain’s Light Diffusing Perfecting Primer gives the same effect. I hope the LR2412 ingredient (derived from jasmonic plant) does actually do something for the skin but I’m unable to verify that as of now. I’ve stopped using this since I broke out from overexfoliation (with other products I tried) and had to baby my skin back to normal.

Advanced Genifique

An anti-aging serum that’s packed with so many active ingredients, backed up by 14 years of research and patents extending until 2029 (oh, Lancome. you and your marketing claims!). Anyway, we should all know by now that patents ≠ efficacy. Major Impression: I usually get really bored with anti-aging serums that don’t seem to have any effect but I quite like using this one as it has a calming sensation when applied on the skin. The skin seems to drink it quickly which I like even more. I do wake up with a smoother, much more glowing skin as compared to when I don’t use it. As for the excessive claims? I can’t tell how much more effective it is as compared to its drugstore counterpart, L’Oreal Youth Code. 6

Blanc Expert Whitening Hydrating Emulsion Moist

Aka moisturizer. I was recommended this moisturizer to go with my DermCrystal & Melanolyser (my first Lancome buys which I havent reviewed yet, excuse me for that gosh).  Major Impression: Very light and refreshing moisturizer, not too heavy (if you’ve dry skin, they have the super moist version). I don’t see any whitening effect, but it’s pretty good as a moisturizer. My dry peeling skin was completely removed 2 days after using this day and night. Probably isn’t more effective than any cheaper moisturizers so I don’t recommend splurging on this one. I do enjoy using this though. It leaves my skin very moisturized yet non-oily and non-sticky.

Renergie CC Multi-Lift Cream

Lancome’s take on the CC cream. It claims to correct as well as lift and firm. I like this a lot but it’s quite white on me. I gave this to my mom to use and it works great on her – wrinkles aren’t as evident and it does give a lifted look! Compared to Chanel’s CC cream, this is thinner and runnier. It does cover redness but those needing more coverage wouldn’t be too impressed with this. Full review on this soon. 4

Makeup

Teint Miracle Liquid Foundation

I actually love this foundation. It’s not too heavy, the satin finish does give quite a glow without looking the least bit oily. If you want a heavy coverage matte, this is not for you. But for someone who dislikes wearing foundation but wants something to even out skintone, reduce redness and pore appearance, then this is perfect. Downside? I do need to blot after 4-5 hours because I get oily on my t-zone. Also, without loose powder, this slides off the skin in humid temperature.

Lipsticks

The L’Absolu range is meant to be one of the more moisturizing lipsticks of the brand. Opaque, glides on smoothly, lasts at most 3 hours. Personally, I don’t find them that moisturizing. Although to be fair, not a lot of formulas sit well on my dry lips. The Rouge in Love range on the other hand is very sheer, needs at least two swipes to be opaque but less drying than the L’Absolu range. The packaging is quite heavy as it’s not the original black magnetic casing as L’Absolu’s. 5

Disappointing Loyalty Program!

As I mentioned, I got into Lancome mainly because of their loyalty program. I even upgraded my membership to Gold (which meant I had to spend $$$ in a span of three months!) because I wanted to get more points and save them for Christmas (shopping for friends and family!). Well what do you know? Out of nowhere, Lancome texts my mom and I that we had to spend our points by the end of the month (August) or else all our points will be forfeited. I am aghast because they gave us an impression that the points are good till the end of the year. I know it may seem shallow but this program was one of the reasons I decided to ‘invest in your brand and you’ll tell me I have to spend all my hard-earned points in a month’s time because your Marketing team suddenly felt like implementing so. NOT COOL. And can you please be more subtle with your sales targets and quotas? So much so that even those that do not suit my skin condition or age group are pushed so hard as if I’m aging magically tomorrow. Sure, I gave in the first three months but I’m not stupid and careless anymore (or I’d like to think so).

I may like some of your products Lancome, but I can surely replace them with other brands. I hope that you will look into your customer service and loyalty program approach. This is not a bashing of any sort. I’m (or was) just a loyal customer voicing out my frustrations.

1. August 25, 2013 / 11:11 am

Ack, that sucks about the loyalty program, because Lancôme is NOT cheap! One of my favorite loyalty card programs is shu uemura’s! Their skin care is great as well. I don’t get to buy from them much anymore because they’re not cruelty-free, but they are by far the best cosmetics store here, in terms of Customer Service, GWPs, and also the Sales Assistants/MUAs 🙂 just in case you want to make a switch eventually.

• August 26, 2013 / 9:26 pm

True 🙁 I’m quite sad our relationship will be coming to an end, haha.

I never really thought of Shu for skincare but come to think of it, I am a fan of their cleansing oil so maybe i should look at their skincare line. I have the Tsuya serum and i find it quite similar to Visionnaire actually 🙂

Didnt know they had a loyalty program. Thanks for this heads up Carina.

2. August 25, 2013 / 11:23 am

oh my! that’s an awesome haul Shari!! I wish I have them too hehehe

love lots,
    Tin

• September 5, 2013 / 6:59 pm

Thanks, Tin. 🙂

3. August 25, 2013 / 1:08 pm

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion! I thought Lancome was known more for their makeup than their skincare. They’re not exactly promoting loyalty there, are they.

• September 5, 2013 / 7:01 pm

Well no they have lost a prevously-loyal customer in me.. so I guess that’s how far their loyalty program goes. 🙁

• September 5, 2013 / 7:02 pm

It’s one of my favorites and one I use daily!

4. August 26, 2013 / 3:22 am

Well isn’t that messed up. Anyway, that is one huge haul right there! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts about them :))

• September 5, 2013 / 7:02 pm

Thanks Victoria! 🙂 I will write about them soon.

5. August 26, 2013 / 3:49 am

We don’t even have any loyalty programs here.. But I understand your frustration! I hope you’ll be able to save up your points after all.

• September 5, 2013 / 7:03 pm

I claimed them already and will be avoiding Lancome for now! 🙁

6. August 26, 2013 / 10:15 am

For real?! This is too bad! They shouldn’t have tell or promise their customers something that will result in opposite as to what they have said.

THE GIRL BEHIND THE PEN

• September 5, 2013 / 7:05 pm

Exactly. I hope other brands will learn from this (I hope they do, too).

7. August 26, 2013 / 4:46 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I had a similar experience with a perfume brand. The card had to be used in two months or it would be cancelled. Most companies do this, I guess it’s because they chase a bigger profit in very short terms.

Great post as always, really informative 🙂

• September 5, 2013 / 7:06 pm

I do know about their scheme 🙂 What I dislike is their sudden changes in their terms, which results to utter disappointment from those who actually read and cared about their original terms. Thanks, Keit!

8. Czarina
    August 26, 2013 / 7:38 pm

Hi Shari! 🙂 I salute you for this very honest post. You are one my fave beauty bloggers now. Main reason would probably be that I find your blig to be real and genuine. Not a faked up blog full of sponsored reviews. Kudos to you! 🙂

I love Lancome’s makeup line. I especially go nuts over them every time they are on a GWP at Nordstrom ( i live in the PH, btw. i just use my cc and a parcel forwarder when i order at nordstrom and sephora. lol. 🙂 )

Oh btw, what exfoliant did you use to make your skin peel? Is it the good kind of peel that takes away all the blemishes? Coz i’m currently on the lookout for products that will help solve my blemish problems.

Thanks! Stay beautiful! 🙂

• September 5, 2013 / 7:12 pm

Thank you so much, Czarina! Comments like these inspire me to keep on keeping on! 🙂 Hihi. Thank you thank you!!

And yes, I love their makeup line too (foundation, mascara, lipsticks in particular). Their GWPs are the reason I got into the loyalty card, actually. Dangerous dangerous promotions, lol.

The peeling product I used is Alpha H Liquid Gold Radiance. For someone new to AHAs, it will have a tendency to make you peel (micropeel, not intense peels like from a derma). I did for a few days so it worked. It lightened my newly-healed marks, but didn’t do so much for my old ones. I bought it from Luxola.com 🙂

9. August 27, 2013 / 12:27 am

Omg, Shari! Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I really hate it when companies try to sell you something and hide the catch behind them. :/ I’ll make sure to stay away from Lancome’s Loyalty Program.

• September 5, 2013 / 7:14 pm

No, problem Lynn! My pleasure 🙂 Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!

10. Stef
    August 28, 2013 / 12:07 am

I really wish more brands available in the PH would invest in proper loyalty programs, especially the high-end ones. Sad to hear about Lancome because you would’ve thought that they would be more attentive to this since they are an international brand.

On the topic of skincare, check out Caroline Hirons blog (www.carolinehirons.com). She is amazing! She totally revolutionized how I think about skincare after reading through her posts and cheat sheets.

• Inna
      August 31, 2013 / 3:09 pm

Cool blog and appreciate the honest reviews.

Stef, thanks for sharing Caroline’s blog. I learned a lot with just one of her posts!

• September 5, 2013 / 7:15 pm

I do read Caroline Hirons’ blog too! 🙂 I actually like her skincare reviews then – now, not so much because I know she does get sent so many items already that I have to pick through what I think she really truly recommends 🙂 Thanks for sharing this though, Stef!! Appreciate it.

11. dianne capistrano
    October 11, 2013 / 2:34 pm

Hi ms shari! Would like to request sana of your current skincare products and what primer would you recommend for oily type of skin? Thanks po. Im a new reader here. And did not hesitate to subscribe my email to get notifications of your new posts. Im glad i was able to go through this blog! Thank you 🙂