NARS Satin Lip Lovin’ in Lodhi

0 After my so-so encounter with the Voulez Vous palette which I truly wanted to love, I passed by the NARS counter to swatch some of their permanent eyeshadows for comparison. Long story short, I had a moment of weakness and came home with a palette and a lip pencil. I really must learn to resist the urge to sit on that makeup chair.   1 I’ve tried NARS lipsticks before— pure matte Carthage is one of my favorites, Montego Bay is also a nice nude/MLBB shade, but their Velvet Matte Lip Pencil just did not sit well with my lips at all. It emphasized my dry and flaky Sahara-levels lips. Thankfully the NARS gods have heard my grouses and came up with these nifty Satin Lip Pencils. Same packaging, same look except the finish of these are deliciously creamy without sucking your lips dry (yes, I am talking about you, MAC Satin lipsticks – you painfully drying formula you). 23 Lodhi is said to be one of the most saleable colors among their Satin Lip Pencils. Local celebrities reportedly hoarded this color! It’s a vibrant coral shade that for some reason, I have no close dupe of yet in my stash. It’s one of the few corals that don’t pull pink on my lips and actually look orangey. I can’t believe I actually love it! Pigmentation is medium yet buildable. One stroke though delivers full opacity without feeling heavy on the lips. I can liken the lightweight feel to Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet. The creaminess though, makes for a tricky application especially with my two left hands. Control is key to avoid bleeding. One of my favorite things about this lip pencil is how long it lasts and the beautiful stain it leaves behind when it fades. It lasts on average 5-6 hours on me, more if I don’t eat in between. Also, absolutely transfer-free! I bought a Guerlain L’Extrait which is a matte liquid lipstick that transfers like cray-cray on everything! Doesn’t even last 2 hours on me, so sad (but I’ll save that review for another time!). 4

A NEWFOUND LOVE

Just when I feel like I’ve given up on lipsticks because it’s very rare to find a formula that suits my parched puckers, I stumble upon this lip pencil that sparks yet another (expensive) love affair. It’s rare I don’t regret buying an item an SA pushed on me. Au contraire, I even want to collect all the yummy shades!

OVERALL

These NARS lip pencils don’t look so attractive physically (I mean, a fat lip pencil reminds me of the Crayola jumbo crayons I used when I was a kid) but they perform outstandingly. I truly feel that these are several notches up a MAC lipstick in terms of formula. They are long-wearing, delectably creamy, non-drying (!!!) pieces of lip heaven in pencil form that leaves a beautiful even stain when it fades. Definitely recommending these!
Details Price: Php1450 ($25) Available in NARS Rustan’s (Makati, Shangri-la, Alabang)

1. August 31, 2013 / 10:07 pm

It’s funny how you don’t think they look good, but I love the packaging! NARS has some packaging geniuses at their office 🙂 My friend told me these are superb, I should totally buy one next time I’m in a country they actually sell NARS. I try to limit myself to one item a time since I get carried away easily 😉

• September 2, 2013 / 2:44 am

Try one first and see if you like it – warning: it’s addictive! Lol

I’m so-so with NARS packaging – I like how they look (the compacts especially!) but dislike how they gather dust easily! The pencils are okay, I just like the look of bulleted lipsticks more! 🙂

• September 2, 2013 / 2:47 am

Thanks Max!!! Hope to see you again soon!

2. September 1, 2013 / 4:15 am

The color is so beautiful! I find NARS lip pencils to be pretty amazing x

• September 2, 2013 / 2:48 am

Thank you Coco!! Any shade suggestions (i’m looking into more!)?

3. September 1, 2013 / 8:33 am

That is a pretty color and really suits you well! I’ve been thinking about purchasing one myself but still trying to figure out which shade, hehe 🙂

• September 2, 2013 / 3:02 am

I think you should go try for yourself! I recommend you swatch Isola Bella, Yu, Lodhi, Palais Royale! 🙂

4. September 1, 2013 / 9:30 am

I like nars lip pencil. I have nars dragon girl and I love the texture and the finishing effect. Plus you don’t have to worry for the expiration even if you keep it for a long time.

• September 2, 2013 / 3:04 am

Oooh the famed Dragon Girl! I’m not a RED lip girl but I’m seriously interested in trying out Dragon Girl. 🙂

5. September 1, 2013 / 10:49 am

I have yet to own something from NARS. I hope to change that. I planned on getting a blush but looking at this post makes me want to purchase one of the lip pencils! Thanks for the review!

• September 2, 2013 / 3:04 am

Do get a blush and a satin lip pencil if it’s your first!

6. September 1, 2013 / 12:03 pm

I’ve never tried any other Nars products besides their cult favourite blushes. Love the shade you picked out and it’s great that they’re not drying! Absolutely hate lip products that dry out your lips 🙁

• September 2, 2013 / 3:07 am

I hate drying lip products too – which is why most of my lipsticks are gathering dust now. 🙁 Im glad I found these though. They aren’t drying at all!

7. September 1, 2013 / 6:47 pm

I haven’t tried lip pencils before. Love the shade you got and just by review I’m like so tempted to buy one for myself! xD

• September 2, 2013 / 3:09 am

Gellieee!! Try and tell me about your experience 🙂 Ako I really like it (even if I was sure I wouldnt!!).

8. September 4, 2013 / 3:30 am

So-so with the packaging too. My nars lipstick got smudged with foundation and it looks dirty now. I can clean it but, that takes extra-effort.

9. September 4, 2013 / 5:41 am

Wow this shade is so gorgeous, I wish I had seen your review before I made a Nars purchase last week XD

10. Apl Creatte
    September 11, 2013 / 9:24 am

The downside is you have to sharpen it..I wished they came out with ones that are just twistable

• September 12, 2013 / 2:18 pm

Yes I forgot to add that — i hate sharpening, too. Wish they do come in twistables.