Chanel Le Vernis in Suspicious — a Misty Mom First!

I think I’ve developed a new obsession after my MAC lipstick craze months back. Something I never thought in this lifetime could make me look twice, much less start collecting. Le vernis. Lacquer. Nail polish. Chanel nail freaking polish. If you’re an old reader of my blog, you’ll know how quite of a failure I am with nail polish. I’ve never  had a Nail of the Day post or a nail polish review simply because I felt unskilled in this area (plus they’d be the ugliest NOTDs you’ll ever see!).
However, the formula of the polishes I used weren’t helping my non-existent skills either. They were thicky, kinda goopy, bubbly — that most, if not all, attempts end up in screaming or bottles flying across my bedroom out of frustration.
My introduction to Chanel polishes was through my expert mani-holic mother. She has a few shades that I overlooked because I never thought they’d be any different from my lower-end ones. I thought of them as overpriced nail polishes that only the crazy (no offense!) give in to.
One swipe of Frenzy (the first I ever tried) across my nail beds and I crossed over to the dark side. Yes, you can officially call me crazy. I still think it’s overpriced nail polish housed in a classy-looking glass bottle stamped with those interlocking Cs.  But to an unskilled nail polish n00b like me, it’s worth it.
Chanel Suspicious is a raspberry red cream polish that almost looks red, but next to a true red like Chanel Dragon, certainly is on the pinker side. It’s not an entirely unique color because I’m sure lower-end brands have shades almost or exactly like this.
The formula, however, is fantastic. It goes on almost opaque on the first coat. It’s like it applies itself! I used two coats for the swatches above, though. Another thing I like about Chanel polishes is their brush — it fits my nail beds perfectly without being too flimsy so the polish becomes a breeze to apply. However, some shades are a bit thicker or thinner than others so it’s not all the same. Some are streaky, like a few of their metallics, but some are perfectly formulated too. Bottle-to-bottle basis. I’m impressed at its longevity, too. Believe it or not, these overpriced polishes last on average 6-7 days on me with minimal to no tip wear. I use Essie base coat and top coat, btw. I’ll maybe soon try out the Chanel base coat, which I’ve heard good reviews about but so far, I’m happy with my Essie base and top coats. Now I’m not saying you need to shell out Php1250 ($30) to have a nice-looking manicure because that’s absolutely wild (even at the state where I stand now being a bit obsessed and all) — but for someone who’s given up on applying nail polish by herself, these Chanel ones help make the job easier for me. Less bottle-throwing, definitely (or maybe that’s because of the price which deters me from throwing it).

Bottom Line

Chanel Le Vernis are overpriced nail polishes that make up for it (at least) in formula and longevity. If you are an expert at applying polishes by yourself with other brands and are happy with them, then you don’t need these. Sometimes though, Chanel comes out with unique shades that are yet to be duped so some feel the need to go for that. If you’re completely indifferent about nail polishes (like I was then), try applying a Chanel polish in their counters and see for yourself. It’s either you hate it or you love it. Good luck!

1. July 10, 2013 / 12:17 pm

I have quite a lot of nail polish but I dont have Chanel pa. I son’t think I’ll buy one anytime soon! Mahal! Haha! Your nails look neat. Love the color!:)

• July 11, 2013 / 6:24 pm

Thanks Ish although humehello ang dry cuticles ko! 😐

2. July 10, 2013 / 12:30 pm

I’ve only ever gone into OPI, Orly, Essie and Ciate. But hopefully sometime in the future I’ll try one out!

ravenkristineang.blogspot.com

• July 11, 2013 / 6:27 pm

I have also some OPI, Orly and Essie! Havent tried Ciate though because Ive associated them with caviar nails (as if yun lang meron sila!) and I feel like di ko carry yun, sa pagka-clumsy ko, baka makain ko yung caviar beads! 🙁 Although the mint color, (Pepperminty?) I’m eyeing!

• July 11, 2013 / 6:29 pm

I’ve bought a few and I’ve given up on justifying! The most convincing I’ve gone is that hopefully they’ll last quite long and become ‘investments’. Most limited ed colors that are no longer for sale go up to $80-$90 in eBay!

3. July 10, 2013 / 1:50 pm

I think cheap polish, in general, makes for bad application and staying power. My sisters and I share some OPI and China Glaze bottles and their brush + solution combos are perfect for me 🙂

• July 11, 2013 / 6:35 pm

I have a few OPIs but have yet to try China Glaze (I’ve seen fun colors from them recently!). My other two faves are Essie and Zoya! Essie’s brush is the easiest for me among all these (except CG which I havent tried) 🙂

4. July 10, 2013 / 11:12 pm

I also suck at applying nail polishes! But I have not given up yet… I recently bought a few of Wetnwild nail polishes and I love how the brushes are flat and wide making it easier to apply nail polish. I have to use a good top coat though or else they will hip easily….love the color of the Chanel nail polish..it is nice to know that you really get what you pay for, 6-7 days without chipping?! That is so great!

• July 11, 2013 / 6:31 pm

Oh yes, Wet n Wild polishes have good reviews nga! I’ve yet to try though. Do share your fave shades 🙂

And yes, these Chanel polishes last long! Even I’m quite surprised 🙂 Some shades though chip easily parin, within 2-3 days 🙁

5. July 11, 2013 / 12:44 am

reminds me of mary kay limited nail polishes =) gorg!

• July 11, 2013 / 6:31 pm

Another brand of polish on my to-checkout list! Thanks girl!

6. July 11, 2013 / 3:30 am

It’s such a nice color! I’d love to try a Chanel nail polish, but they’re way way out of my price range! Just the look of the bottle…sigh!

• July 11, 2013 / 6:36 pm

Try Essie! They have great colors, too but are more affordable 🙂

7. July 11, 2013 / 10:45 am

im starting to get addicted to nail polishes and your blog haha. yesterday i bought mac viva glam 1 lipstick because i saw your post on red lipsticks and i like you how described it as “classic, timeless Old Hollywood red.” i really like it 🙂 i might try Chanel polishes too but not any time soon 😀 thanks for sharing this shari 🙂

• July 11, 2013 / 6:38 pm

Aw thanks Shayne! ♥ You’ll never go wrong with VG I, it’s a red that’s perfect for our Filipina skin 🙂 Glad I could help!

8. July 12, 2013 / 12:27 am

That is a gorgeous red… I have yet to go to the “crazy” side…I love applying my own nail polish and use predominantly OPI and Essie…But maybe one day, I’ll treat myself to a bottle of Chanel nail polish. I just don’t know which one to get because it’s so expensive! I feel like I have to get a shade I will love forever…and forever is so hard to think about!! LOL!

9. July 14, 2013 / 4:32 am

i’ve never tried chanel nail polish.. it’s a tad expensive for me when other cheaper alternatives are available 🙁 but i would love to own one someday haha 🙂

Dress Me Up Buttercup