Lipstick Week Day 4 — Reds!

Almost at the end of Lipstick Week, bear with me friends! For this entry, I shall focus on my least used color — RED. The reason why I only have two reds among my army of pinks is because I find the color quite hard to pull off. Because red needs to pop, figuring out what to put (or to not put!) on the rest of your face needs to be carefully considered. A flawless base with black eyeliner, mascara, a slight dusting of bronzer and neutral eyes are usually the suspects involved when I whip out the red. Another gripe I have is how tricky it is to find a red that will suit my yellow undertones. TBH, I can see the slightest differences in all my pinks yet I can’t tell Russian Red from Ruby Woo. Yes, you can say I’m color-red-blind. It takes quite a while for me to see the nuances of orange, auburn, pink and blues in reds. I’ve found my #1 go-to in Viva Glam I. One swipe and I knew it was the one red I could wear and pull off. Even the husband agrees with this shade of red! It’s a deep matte red with a slight brown undertone that veers away from the bright, retro-vibed reds such as Ruby Woo and Russian Red, but a step back from brick reds. It’s a classic, timeless Old Hollywood red. Ronnie Red, on the other hand, was an impulse buy from the MAC Archie’s Girls Collection. I grabbed it (together with Betty Bright) because I thought it was time to experiment with another kind of red lipstick — a pinky red. What I like about it is its matte formulation which is different from the dry, dragging texture of Ruby Woo. It goes on smoother than Viva Glam I and feels better on the lips, too. What I hate about it is how it has slight bleeding that when I make a tiny mistake in application, it turns out into one big mess. A lip liner would definitely make things easier, paired with a lip brush. FINAL THOUGHTS Prior to my MAC reds, the only red I owned was Revlon Really Red which I found too bright for my liking. It was also matte and is very comparable to MAC’s Ruby Woo (not the color, but the formulation). I actually like Revlon lipstick shades but my lips didn’t sit well with them, as with some other MAC shades I own that suck the last bit of moisture in my lips. I love my Viva Glam I — in terms of color and wear-time. Formulation, not so much. I still find it drying — sigh. I love mattes even though they don’t love me back. With Ronnie Red, I’m still undecided. I do appreciate its particular matte formulation, but I’m not crazy about the color. There are times when I actually like it, but there are also other times that I don’t. It’s weird. I guess it’s the part of me that’s still hesitant wearing bright reds. For my next reds, I’m eyeing on Guerlain L’Extrait Orgueil which is Carina’s rouge au choix and Chanel Rouge Coco in Rivoli which is one of my top favorite lipstick formulas. Any other reds I should keep in mind?

1. June 14, 2013 / 5:27 am

You should try NARS Velvet Matte in Red Square, my absolute fave that is a dream on my very, very warm skin tone. Check my review here.

Also, you should wear more reds 🙂 Something about your skin tone and bone structure makes you look sooooo classy (and classic) in red.

2. June 14, 2013 / 6:07 am

You have soooo many lipstick Shari! When do you dispose lipstick? Or do you manage to use them all up? Haha! Maybe you can make an entry about when to dispose make up. :))

You look stunning in red lippie but I think I love pink on you more. 🙂

3. June 14, 2013 / 6:09 am

Shari, Viva Glam I looks AMAZING on you! Parang ang sarap tuloy gumaya sayo 😛 I want Rivoli din! That & Ballet Russe (or Rouge Noir) Hay too many lemmings!

You should try Dragon Girl (though it is quite bright) 🙂

xo runbarbierun

4. June 14, 2013 / 6:34 am

ohh, such a sexy shade and you look gorgeous on it ^_~

5. June 14, 2013 / 1:37 pm

I personally like ronnie red on you. It makes you look more youthful

6. June 14, 2013 / 1:54 pm

Ronnie Red is so pretty! I missed out on that one 🙁

7. June 15, 2013 / 8:33 am

Red suits you well! 🙂 You are so pretty!

8. June 15, 2013 / 12:00 pm

I know what you mean about being red colour blind – I’m not a huge fan of reds either and quite a few of them I find look similar on my lips despite being different when swatched. They’re all just .. red. Lol. I think I favour more orange-reds for my complexion – have you tried something like Revlon matte lipstick in Strawberry Suede?

9. June 15, 2013 / 3:28 pm

I have very few red lipsticks too! It’s an intimidating colour to wear sometimes ^^
    I love Viva Glam on you!

10. June 15, 2013 / 3:50 pm

They both look stunning on you! I don’t know which one I like better, but they both work nicely with your colouring! Both lovely reds to have in your collection. xx
    Beauty For Thought

11. June 25, 2013 / 3:37 am

Love the Viva Glam I. Thanks for the great review, will defiantly give it a try.

12. Shara
    August 24, 2013 / 2:01 am

I love both reds on you. Viva Glam is a classic red indeed. While the Ronnie Red is a bit playful. Have you tried red with orange undertones? Like Nars Velvet Matte Pencil in Red Square? 🙂

13. Shara
    August 24, 2013 / 2:15 am

Would love to see a Lipstick series for “muted” Red lipsticks (Nars Flamenco, Laura Mercier Duchess Rose, and my favorite NARS Dolce Vita pencil or MLBB)

• Shari
      Author
      August 26, 2013 / 9:17 pm

I will keep that in mind esp since I wasnt able to do it for Lipstick Week. Thanks for the suggestion – appreciate it! 🙂

14. September 1, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Do you need lip liners for red lipsticks? And what lip liner do you use?:D thank you 🙂