MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Stereo Rose

I’ve always been loyal to NARS when it comes to blushes. I find their color pay-off and longevity superb as compared to MAC’s blushes (which is why I only own one MAC blush prior to this). The only brand that has come close to my love for NARS blushes is Tarte (which I will talk about more on another entry). So why then do I have a MAC blush here now? I blame it all on my lack of willpower the ease of online shopping.
MAC Mineralize Skinfinish products are meant to be luxurious velvety soft powders with high-frost metallic finish for highlighting the cheeks giving the face an ‘ultra-deluxe polish’. I know, high-frost and metallic in the same sentence spell out a discernible disco ball fiasco waiting to happen. Especially in this particular shade I got which is Stereo Rose, a bright coral with golden bronze nuances to give highlight as well as warmth to the face. Given that 1 – I tend to lean on the pinky peachy side of blushes and 2 – there is that given disco ball fever that may possibly occur, this purchase was definitely a leap outside my comfort zone.
But it’s just so GORGEOUS. I never buy makeup just because it looks so damn pretty — is something I would love to learn. But since I only recently grasped I don’t buy makeup just because it has a pretty packaging, let me continue to make the former until I finally bone up on that lesson. Besides, I also think it’s a great product being a highlighter and a blush at the same time. You save up a bit of money and space on your makeup kit.
Let’s face it though — is the product worth all the hype (and the price) that surrounds it? First, pigmentation is incredible, the scary looking color in the pan turns out quite the same at first swipe, which I don’t know if is a good or a bad thing (because we wouldn’t want this intense a look now, would we). Don’t be scared, it’s nothing a little brush tap before applying can’t solve. The seemingly overpowering shimmer did NOT have huge specks of gold that make me look like a shiny disco ball as I initally thought. On contrary, it was a subtle glow that made me look alive more than I usually do nowadays. The color is very buildable, though seemingly hard to pull off, and can be lighter or darker depending on your application.

The highlight does have a slight tendency to accentuate pores but with a good primer, I think it wouldn’t be a problem. I do not recommend wearing this without a base (moisturizer, primer) as I did and that’s when I found my pores were accentuated. But compared to NARS’ shimmer blushes, this one provided a better highlight as NARS’ huge specks of gold (Super Orgasm, I’m looking at you) just end up scattered all over the face.
As for the lasting power? It wore longer than the regular MAC blushes on me, which only last for about 3-4 hours. This one stayed for a good 5 hours before eventually fading. The frosty highlight was still visible after that amount of time, which I find commendable, as highlights I usually wear turn oily or completely fade on me.
WORTH THE HYPE? For a blush that’s priced at such, I find it too expensive. Although it being 0.32 oz is twice the size of a normal NARS blush which is only 0.16 oz priced at around Php 1400. So on a per use basis, the MAC blush is significantly cheaper. But then again, it takes me more than a year to finish one pan of NARS blush (and that’s using it almost daily!) so I don’t really need a blush the size of Stereo Rose.

It did, however, surpass my expectations and I like the highlighting warmth it gives my face. I also like how it wears on my cheeks when I need that pop of color with a slight glow to feel and look alive. I’ve been reaching for it a lot since I got it and especially this coming summer season, I feel like it’ll be even more reached for.

Price: Php 1750 (at 20% off! All thanks to the month-long discount Multiply offered to their Trusted Sellers)
Where to buy: MAC Stores (Rockwell, Shang, Glorietta) but I bought mine in Multiply.

1. March 13, 2013 / 8:00 am

I really enjoyed reading this review! This blush is such a pretty colour, it’s gorgeous! It sounds like it would last an absolute age too.

Kimberley x

• March 13, 2013 / 10:31 am

Thank you Kim! I think it’ll last me a good two years! 🙂

2. March 13, 2013 / 8:00 am

It is massive! I would never, ever hit pan on it :/.
    The colour is adorable and looks great on you! I wish it come as half size and half price.. that would be perfect!
    Great review 🙂
    X

• March 13, 2013 / 10:32 am

True! MAC should make half sized blushes for those who can’t hit pan on big product sizes like these.

3. March 13, 2013 / 8:23 am

This is a product i have heard so much hype on but i haven’t got my hands on it because it is always sold out. I admit that the colour is really similar to NARS orgasm which i absolutely love because it goes really well with the Asian complexion. MAC mineralize skinfinishes gives such a nice finish without being too cakey~ It’s good that you managed to get ur hands on it and ejoying it hehe <3 And i am a big sucker for packaging when it comes to make-up! Anything pretty on the shelves, i will be attracted to it lol~

I hope you have a lovely day <3
    X x X x

• March 13, 2013 / 10:34 am

NARS Orgasm is less pigmented and pinky peach, this one is a true bright coral. I couldnt show the true color on my photos but it’s really different compared to Orgasm 🙂

I do agree though that MAC Mineralize Skinfinishes are really nicely formulated 🙂

4. March 13, 2013 / 9:38 am

It’s worth checking out theBalm’s ‘Hot Mama Shadow & Blush’.
    I’m not sure how much it is in there Manila but it’s defo cheaper than MAC or NARS. 🙂 x

• March 13, 2013 / 10:35 am

Yes! Their blushes are really good too 🙂 Although I have yet to own one! I’ve Sexy Mama which is their translucent powder. They’re cheap too at around Php 700 only!

• March 26, 2013 / 7:47 am

Oh wow that’s very affordable, I must ask my family to get some for me when they go to Philippines this summer 😀

5. March 13, 2013 / 10:10 am

I love the color and it suits you so well too! Thanks for the swatches and your pictures are very beautiful! 😀

6. March 13, 2013 / 12:38 pm

so so so so pretty!! ^_~

7. March 14, 2013 / 12:36 pm

I’ve read/watched a lot of positive reviews about this product. However, as much as I want this, I find it really pricey. But I’m on the hunt for new blush powders since I haven’t updated my blush powders for quite some time now, and I need something with good staying power, which is why I’ve been browsing your site for IDK how long now, lol ;D

8. March 14, 2013 / 1:30 pm

you know what? I love love love reading your posts…. the way you write is just superb, I don’t know how to describe it..but i’m hooked!! love the blush by the way!it looks AMAZINGGG!!!!

9. March 14, 2013 / 1:44 pm

beautiful pictures!
    love your blog, your style & i follow u right now:)

10. March 14, 2013 / 8:57 pm

Ganda. Highlighter/ blush in one. But the “accentuate pores” bit… Hmmn. I think I have bigger pores than you do :S

11. March 15, 2013 / 12:17 pm

I also share the same sentiments with these kinds of blushes. It is a bit similar with benefit’s coralista and they both accentuate pores! 🙁 maybe i’ll stick with matted ones. But they look so natural like you just flushed kaya its pretty :))

12. March 17, 2013 / 3:49 am

omg so beautiful on your face! a few bloggers have mentioned this lately and now more and more i lust after it lol. you guys are the worst for my wallet!

13. March 17, 2013 / 7:52 am

Nice revamped layout Shari!
    Lovely writeup too dear! Nice color featured! 🙂

Hope you can visit me again dear 🙂
    And since Google Reader is retiring by July 1, 2013; we might no’t be able to keep up with each other’s feeds via reading list / GFC when the time comes I guess (I really dunno if GFC’s going too but just to be safe lah~).
    I’ll keep up with your updates via Bloglovin’ instead 🙂 Been following you there anyway, hope you follow me back there too, in case you haven’t yet so we can still follow each other 🙂
    Don’t worry – still following you on GFC. 🙂

Let me know if there are other platforms you want dear. Keep in touch! (^_^) Happy weekend!

★♡ Feature Post: 3 Day Suit Broker (^_^) ♡★
    Men Fashion – Where the Smart Money Goes

❤ ~Chai
    Follow Ice Goddhez via Bloglovin’
    Follow on NetworkedBlogs via Facebook