Bedtime Ritual

I’ve never been a fan of lotions nor lip products — I think it was because as a kid, I’ve always been cajoled by my mom nonstop to always put lotion all over my body. Legs, arms, knees, feet, hands. Lip balm on the lips. She never faltered in reminding us three girls these things before bedtime. Unfortunately, I realized that the more I was pushed to do something before, the greater effort I exerted in avoiding them at all costs. I distinctly remember the one time she slathered lotion all over me, I was disgusted at the greasy and oily feeling it left my body that I vowed never to touch that gunk again. With lip balm, I always felt the discomfort of talking when wearing it for fear of tasting it. I was a weird kid, I know. But those things stuck with me growing up that I never really saw the need in them…until now.
Fast forward 10+ years later, here I am sharing some of my bedtime buddies with you which includes the stuff I vowed never to touch my skin before. First up is the L’Occitane Shea Hand Cream which has created a stir around the beauty blogosphere sometime back for being an HG-material hand cream. I was completely satisfied with my Tony Moly Age Stop hand cream as I reviewed months back but after having tried this one, I was turned. I still use my Tony Moly during the day but generously slather on this L’occitane one every night before sleeping. I swear to you that overnight my hands transformed like I’ve never felt it before. Even my husband didn’t want to believe it at first —dismissing it as overpriced and overhyped. But he too was delighted after feeling my softer, smoother hands. My cuticles have improved as well, no dry bits emanating every other day or so. Truly a miracle worker for me.
This next one is an all over body butter that I slather on more on my feet than anywhere else in my body. Bath and Body Works Twilight Woods Body Butter is part of the popular brand’s signature collection. I’ve never seen it being sold here in the Philippines despite the many outlets that carry the brand. It was a present from a friend in the U.S. and thanks to her, I was introduced to yet another miracle worker. I have dry areas on my feet that keep on coming back despite my daily use of Lush’s Lemony Flutter before this. A few days into using this, my feet’s dry bits and pieces have miraculously disappeared. I’ve been missing out a few nights on using this as well but the dryness hasn’t reappeared. It has a very musky, woodsy smell with a hint of vanilla that may be too strong for some but I actually love. It’s also a plus that my husband is the one who applies this onto me every night with a free foot massage every time!
I’ve tried Chapstick, Blistex, Carmex, Vaseline — and the one that came closest to vying a spot in my heart was Carmex though I never pushed through with the relationship. Randomly, at a bazaar I went to last year, I was drawn to this local brand called V&M Naturals that sells organic cosmetics. Browsing through their products, the one that caught my fancy was their selection of skin care items containing emu oil, an oil believed to have great benefits for the skin. Wanting to try out something, I opted for the lip balm which many of their clients hail as their Holy Grail.

The ingredients are pretty simple — avocado butter, avocado oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, castor oil, jojoba wax, peppermint oils, beeswax, vitamin E, titanium dioxide and of course emu oil. I love the smooth buttery feeling upon application as well as the cool minty peppermint kick that follows in a few seconds. What surprised me is how this little thing worked in a matter of minutes! Half an hour later, I felt my absurdly dry lips smoother than ever. I even found myself reapplying it every time I remember just because I love the feeling it leaves my lips. With this, I don’t think I’ll look at another lip balm ever again. After 2 months of usage, I don’t know if I’m dreaming but I do believe my lips have regained its healthy pinkish color. To add to this, I can now wear matte lipsticks without the horrible, disgusting look on me before when I had such dry and sad lips.
Lastly, my least favorite but an essential part of my nightly ritual for at least 40 weeks — Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Massage Lotion for Stretchmarks. I haven’t see any signs of stretchmarks *knock on wood* yet despite being 38 weeks into my pregnancy but I am scared of them. So I have my husband slather this on my tummy and thighs just for safety. Prevention rather than cure, right? It has a cocoa scent that I didn’t particularly like but have grown accustomed to.

That’s it for my nightly rituals before dozing off. This is sans my face products which is a whole other entry! How about you guys — what are your bedtime buddies? ❤

1. January 16, 2013 / 12:30 am

hi dear.. thank you for commenting on my post =)

same feeling here.. when i was a kid, i hate putting lotion unto my skin.. i always felt sticky.. not until i found lotions that is runny and easily absorbed by skin, mine’s Enchanteur brand and Block and White Hand and Body Lotion.. currently im sticking to Zen Zest VCO =) and believe it or not, it leaves my skin soft and smooth.. feels like skin of baby =) and im loving it so far =)

hugs to mom-to-be
    rhain

2. January 16, 2013 / 1:13 am

I got my lola L’Occitane hand creams, and picked up the L’Occitane Shea foot cream for my lolo for Christmas! 🙂 And yay you found lip balm 🙂 I’ve been using Sara Happ but I can’t justify~ the price anymore. Would love to try this instead.

3. January 16, 2013 / 1:46 am

Wow! My ritual is to take a bath, brush, then clean my face with Eskinol. Yun lang. Haha. Tamad ako sobra e.

4. January 16, 2013 / 2:05 am

I like sleeping with lip balm on my puckers too! Especially if it smells good ^_^ For night time, I’m using Skin Food Lip Care Bar in Raspberry which smells and tastes yummy so I’ve no worries just in case I taste it 😀

xoxo,
    Angel

5. January 16, 2013 / 2:38 am

Twilight Woods smells so nice! I love the showergel 🙂 xo

6. January 16, 2013 / 7:03 am

nice products! im doing a night ritual too soon.. 🙂

7. January 16, 2013 / 7:43 am

thumbs up Shari! I also used that Palmer’s cocoa butter,not too pricey but effective!one thing was I love the aroma when I was preggy.:)excited for your little princess.kaya mo yan!:)

8. January 16, 2013 / 9:08 am

I love L’occitane hand cream so much! Great picks 🙂

Ellie | Ellalogy

9. January 16, 2013 / 4:57 pm

What a beautiful post and blog! Am now following 😀
    Would love a follow back 😀
    icecreamandclara.blogspot.co.uk

10. January 16, 2013 / 6:26 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

11. January 16, 2013 / 6:28 pm

The loccitane hand cream works instantly, I had a little sample and I love it. I’ve also tried the coco butter stretch mark cream when I was pregnant it didn’t work for me 🙁

12. January 16, 2013 / 6:28 pm

Aack, I forget to do mine nowadays… And I know that’s the reason why I’m breaking out. :S

Lately I’ve only been wiping off my face with a cotton pad and bifesta.

13. January 16, 2013 / 10:29 pm

is it weird that nighttime and morning rituals are my favorite to learn about other people? haha! Great post!!

coffeeinstilettos.blogspot.com

xoxo
    lex

14. January 17, 2013 / 2:03 am

38 weeks! you are about to cross the finish line! good luck girlie! I have a two month old…it is the best feeling in the world to be a mommy 🙂

15. January 17, 2013 / 5:31 am

I love Palmer’s! It’s the scent that gets me. Although it is a little thick and sometimes messy to put on. I’m not so sure if it does help with stretch marks, though. Or maybe it’s just me.

I was lucky enough too that I didn’t develop much of those when I was pregnant and my doctor mentioned that it was because of a slow gradual weight gain during that period. That’s what she always recommends to would-be moms who aren’t too keen on developing stretch marks (who is, anyway). Don’t overdo the food and keep your weight gain at a steady pace. =)

16. January 17, 2013 / 8:04 am

no wonder you look so young and so fresh, you take good care of your self!!!!!!

beautyholygrail.blogspot.com

17. January 18, 2013 / 10:59 am

Your blog is so cute and lovely:)
    Nice and interesting post)

________________________
    Check out the new illustrations in my blog:
    dinainbloom.blogspot.com

18. January 18, 2013 / 11:42 am

My bedtime buddies are Jurlique Citrus Hand Cream and Kiehl’s lip balm. It’s winter here in Tokyo so I apply them very religiously every night so I don’t get cracked lips and peeling cuticles.

19. January 18, 2013 / 12:41 pm

wow, so many bed time buddies…! 🙂 you’re really a young beautiful mom… 🙂 and im following your blog..
    pls visit my blog and i’ll be very hppy if you follow my blog too… thanks you dear…^^

glorychen.blogspot.com

20. January 18, 2013 / 3:04 pm

Wow. That’s a lot of stuff but I can see that it pays off. Maybe I’ll learn to value these regimens when I’m not so lazy anymore or maybe when signs of aging occur – eep!

21. January 18, 2013 / 9:36 pm

I bow to you for your nightly diligence! Wish I was that dedicated. I’ve barely started taking my makeup everyday =/

<3, Mel
    beautytribune.com

P.S. I love palmers too!

22. January 18, 2013 / 10:39 pm

Those lip products look divine! xx

23. January 20, 2013 / 1:54 am

Cocoa butter is really good for stretch marks, and keeps the skin soft and moisturised too! great post hun, it’s nice to know your bedtime skincare routine 🙂